11 - Clash of the Titans

"I'm so sorry guys," Sean said earnestly as he left our table with his phone attached to his ear. That left just Nate and I sitting in our booth at the local Olive Garden. I glanced over at Nate who was munching on a breadstick.

"Does this happen often?"

Nate shook his head. "No, Grace is always on time."

I grunted a reply and took a sip of my soda. Grace was Sean's wife and she was running very late.

"So at this upcoming party..." Nate brought up suddenly. "Who am I going to meet?"

I shrugged. "It depends on who you stick with. For example: if you hang around me, then you will meet a lot of single guys. If you hang around Eros, then you will meet a lot of traditional old people."

"Okay," Nate replied. "Who do I have to hang out with to meet hot single ladies?"

I punched his arm not-so-lightly and rolled my eyes at him. "You just stand in one spot and they will all come to you I'm sure."

Sean returned then and our conversation ended as he sat down across from us.

"Grace isn't going to make it tonight. I'm so sorry."

"It's alright," I muttered feeling the very opposite. I did not want to be stuck with these two alone but it seemed that I didn't have much of a choice.

"So..." Sean glanced from Nate to me. "What do you do again Peyton?"

"Matchmaking."

"How is that job doing right now?" Sean asked with genuine curiosity.

I shrugged. "It pays the bills."

Sean gave a little laugh then he talked to Nate for a while about the movie they had seen.

"Have you seen it Peyton?" Sean asked me suddenly.

"Uh...no," I answered. "I don't watch many movies."

"Why not?" Nate asked.

"I don't like how fake they are. Cheesy romances are the worst."

Nate scoffed at me. "Are you saying that you never matched up a cliché?"

I nodded proudly. "Never once have I paired up a nerd and a popular person, a rich and a poor person, or two people that 'faked' their relationship then end up falling in love."

"Why would you match two people up who are already a fake couple?" Sean asked confused.

"I just meant those kinds of things never happen," I retorted.

Sean nodded slightly as if he didn't believe me. "Grace and I are sort of a cliché."

"How so?"

"We met in college. She was the tutor and I was the dumb player guy."

"You weren't a very good player," Nate pointed out. Sean sent him a glare.

"What's she like?" I asked. "Since I couldn't meet her, tell me all about Grace."

Sean got this dreamy look in his eye and started speaking, "Well she is about my height at 5'5 with brown eyes and brown hair."

"He goes for the brunettes," Nate interrupted.

Sean nodded. "She has the most perfect body that is just amazing."

"Okay," I warned. I didn't want any serious details. Our waiter came then and placed our meals in front of us. I thought this might buy me a few minutes of silence but Sean kept talking.