29 - No More Lies

I spent the next week moping around my house normally staying in my room and only coming out to eat. I had a lot of time to think about everything. If Cilix definitely wasn’t my soul mate then I had really no other choice. I refused to speak to Eros about it afraid of what he might say.

He did, however, ask me if I wanted to retry my assignment. I told him no. There was no way I was going to be able to watch him fall in love with someone else when I was quite possibly in love with him myself. The more I thought about Nate the more depressed I would make myself. I started to miss the sound of his voice or the sight of his perfect animated blue eyes. I guess it was true that you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.

Eros didn’t mention the whole ‘inheriting the company’ thing and I was glad. I didn’t need the guilt trip of failing on my assignment. I was hoping for this whole thing to blow over and then my life could go back to normal but since when does anything work out the way I want it to?

There came the day that changed everything. It happened on a Wednesday, I remember clearly. I was sitting in the living room hugging one of the multiple heart-shaped pillows to my chest and staring at the TV. The TV wasn’t on but I wasn’t really focusing on that. I was caught up in my many thoughts that had over taken my brain in the last week when I heard a knock on the door.

It was very unusual for me to be out of my room so I didn’t even flinch when I heard the knock. I turned my head in the general direction of the door wishing I could see through the wall. Eros passed through the living room giving me a confused glance but we didn’t share any words.

Then he walked out of the room and over to the door. Luckily, I couldn’t see the person or Eros from my position on the couch. I continued my staring contest with the TV listening to Eros’s voice because it was the only thing I could hear.

“Hello?” Eros greeted obviously surprised. He leaned back and glanced at me. We made eye contact and he seemed to give me a signal but I couldn’t read it. That’s when I really tried to pay attention to the other voice speaking.

“Mr. Cupid? Mr. Eros? I’m sorry. I’m not sure what to call you.” It was definitely a male’s voice.

“Eros is fine,” my grandfather said. “I hate to tell you that Peyton isn’t here.”

“Well, as much as I would like to speak with her, that isn’t why I’m here,” I realized quickly that it was Nate. His voice sounded different for some reason. Perhaps it was because he was trying to be formal in front of Eros? Whatever the reason, I took my pillow and ran into the kitchen. I was far enough away where I wouldn’t be seen and I would still be able to hear everything.

I slid down against a counter and continued hugging my pillow. I heard Eros’s and Nate’s voices come closer and I figured they were entering the living room.

“I must say that I am surprised that you are here to speak with me.” It was Eros who was speaking.

Nate sighed. “I know Peyton doesn’t want to talk to me so I came up with a plan around that.”

God, he was so wrong. I wanted more than anything to hear him speak to me and looked at me with his caring expression. I just couldn’t face him though.

“Tell me why you are here,” Eros encouraged.

“Peyton told me that as soon as I told Lily that I loved her, then she would be wiped from my memory?” He left the last part as a question.

I could imagine Eros nodding. “That is routinely how it works. It would be different if you were a God though. Gods never forget but seeing as you are just an immortal, you would have forgotten Peyton had you actually meant that you loved this Lily person.”