23 - Time To Get Away

A week had passed by and my days were slowly becoming more regular. Lily would never leave Nate and me alone. She admitted to hanging out with him just in case I would decide to stop by his place. The only thing she didn’t do was sleep over at his house but I was normally long gone by the time she left for the night.

When I was around, I normally sat in the living room with Nate and Lily watching TV in uncomfortable silence. Whenever Lily had to get up to go where ever, she would ask me or Nate to come with her depending on where she was going. As if she thought as soon as she stepped out from the room, Nate and I would instantly jump each other.

For the most part, Lily barely spoke to me unless necessary. She made my time with Nate even worse. We hardly spoke except for a small greeting. Lily always politely greeted me though saying goodbye seemed to be her favorite pastime.

I started showing up on days that I said I wouldn’t just to piss her off but of course, it never worked. She would calmly smile and say that she was glad to have me over. This would only piss me off so most days I would show up, ask how were things, and then leave.

One random day after leaving Nate’s place, I happened to put my hand in my pocket and pulled out a little sticky note. It had the simple words: Cute Café 9:10 Sharp.

Confused as to what the heck ‘Cute Café’was, I glanced at my watch. My eyes widened as I saw that it was 8:45. Doing quick mental math I realized that I had 25 minutes to figure out what café this note meant. I automatically assumed that Nate had written it. I quickly went over all the cafés that we had visited together.

We went to the one where the whole Grace situation happened. I never once called that place cute. It had to be the café that we first went to when I showed Nate my matchmaking skills. Since I couldn’t think of any others, I had to take the chance.

I ended up walking through the door at 9:09 and got a table hoping this was the right place. I took the menu the waiter gave me. I didn’t recognize him but it could have been the guy from the last time I was here. It had been a few months. I looked at my menu without really reading it until I heard the little bell of the door ring.

My attention snapped up to someone dressed in a trench coat with the collar up, sunglasses, and a hat. He was either a celebrity avoiding paparazzi or a pedophile, or maybe both? Turned out that it wasn’t either. He came over and sat in front of me. He lowered his glasses slightly on the bridge of his nose and I noticed crystal blue eyes.

“Nate?”

Nate nodded then removed his sunglasses to look at me seriously. “You have to help me.”

I was surprised to say the least. That was probably the most words I’ve gotten out of him in the past week. It wasn’t his fault though, it was hers. “With?”

“Lily!” Nate practically yelled. “She is suffocating me! I’m never alone and when I am, it’s only to sleep. I’ve tried talking with her but she seems to have lost all her trust in me. I don’t know what to do!”

“What do you expect me to do?”

Nate shrugged looking helpless. “Talk to her for me or something. You’re the one who made this relationship but if this is how it’s going to be then I’m going to have to quit.”

“You can’t quit!”

Nate glanced at his cell phone which he pulled out of his pocket. “I only have a few minutes because I told Lily that I was going for a walk.”

“You walked here?”

Nate shook his head. “No, I walked to where she couldn’t see me out the window and then caught a cab.”