22

He frowns. "I'm trying," he says softly.

"I know. Me too." I smile and my mood brightens a little.

Chris looks ridiculous in his chef's hat and Licensed to Grill apron as he stands at the barbecue. Every time I look at him, it makes me smile. In fact, my spirits have lifted considerably. We are all sitting around the table on the terrace of the Jeon family home, enjoying the late summer sun. Scarllet and Somi are setting various salads out on the table, while Jimin and Jungkook trade friendly insults and discuss plans for the new house, and Ethan and Rose grill me about our honeymoon. Jungkook keeps hold of my hand, his fingers toying with my wedding and engagement rings.

"So if you can get the plans finalized with Gia, I have a window September through to mid-November and can get the whole crew on it," Jimin says as he stretches and drops an arm around Rose's shoulder, making her smile.

"Gia is due to come over to discuss the plans tomorrow evening," replies Jungkook. "I hope we can finalize everything then." He turns and looks expectantly at me.

Oh . . . this is news.

"Sure." I smile at him, mostly for the benefit of his family, but my spirits take a nosedive again. Why does he make these decisions without telling me? Or is it the thought of Gia - all lush hips and full breasts and expensive designer clothes and perfume - smiling too provocatively at my husband? My subconscious glares at me. He's given you no reason to be jealous. Shit, I am up and down today. What's wrong with me?

"Lisa," Rose exclaims, snapping me out of my reverie. "You still in the South of France?"

"Yes," I reply with a smile.

"You look so well," she says, though she frowns as she says it.

"You both do." Scarllet beams while Jimin refills our glasses.

"To the happy couple." Chris grins and raises his glass, and everyone around the table echoes the sentiment.

"And congratulations to Ethan for getting into the psych program at Seattle," chips in Somi proudly. She gives him an adoring smile and Ethan smirks at her. I wonder idly if she's made any headway with him. It's difficult to tell.

I listen to the banter around the table. Jungkook is running through our extensive itinerary over the last three weeks, embellishing here and there. He sounds relaxed and in control, the worry of the arsonist forgotten. I, on the other hand, don't seem to be able to shake my mood. I pick at my food. Jungkook said I was fat yesterday. He was joking! My subconscious glares at me again. Jimin accidentally knocks his glass onto the terrace, startling everyone, and there's a sudden flurry of activity to get it cleaned up.

"I am going to take you to the boathouse and finally spank you in there if you don't snap out of this mood," Jungkook whispers to me. I gasp with shock, turn, and gape at him. What? Is he teasing me?

"You wouldn't dare!" I growl at him and from deep inside I feel a familiar, welcome excitement. He cocks an eyebrow at me. Of course he would. I glance quickly at Rose across the table. She's watching us with interest. I turn back to Jungkook, narrowing my eyes at him.

"You'd have to catch me first - and I'm wearing flats," I hiss.

"I'd have fun trying," he whispers with a licentious grin, and I think he's joking.

I flush. Confusingly, I feel better.

As we finish our dessert of strawberries and cream, the heavens open and unexpectedly soak us. We all leap up to clear the plates and glasses from the table, depositing them in the kitchen.

"Good thing the weather held off till we finished," Scarllet says pleased, as we drift into the back room den. Jungkook sits down at the shining black upright piano, presses the quiet pedal, and starts to play a familiar tune that I can't immediately place.