CHAPTER 42:-

"Hi." Jungkook's voice is warm with a trace of amusement. Relief floods through me.

"Hi," I respond, grinning from ear to ear. "How was your flight?"

"Long. What are you doing with Rose?"

Oh no. "We're just going out for a quiet drink."

Jungkook says nothing.

"Sawyer and the new woman - Prescott - are coming with, to watch over us," I offer, trying to placate him.

"I thought Rose was coming to the apartment."

"She is after a quick drink." Please let me go out!

Jungkook sighs heavily. "Why didn't you tell me?" he says quietly. Too quietly.

I mentally kick myself. "Jungkook, we'll be fine. I have Ryan, Sawyer, and Prescott here. It's only a quick drink."

Jungkook remains resolutely silent, and I know he's not happy. "I've only seen her a few times since you and I met. Please. She's my best friend."

"Lisa, I don't want to keep you from your friends. But I thought she was coming back to the apartment."

"Okay," I acquiesce. "We'll stay in."

"Only while this lunatic is out there. Please."

"I've said okay," I mutter in exasperation, rolling my eyes. Jungkook snorts softly down the phone.

"I always know when you're rolling your eyes at me."

I scowl at the receiver. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. I'll tell Rose."

"Good," he breathes, his relief evident. I feel guilty for worrying him.

"Where are you?"

"On the tarmac at JFK."

"Oh, so you just landed."

"Yes. You asked me to call the moment I landed."

I smile. My subconscious glares at me. See? He does what he says he's going to do.

"Well, Mr. Jeon, I'm glad one of us is punctilious."

He laughs. "Mrs. Jeon, your gift for hyperbole knows no bounds. What am I going to do with you?"

"I am sure you'll think of something imaginative. You usually do."

"Are you flirting with me?"

"Yes."

I sense his grin. "I'd better go. Lisa, do as you're told, please. The security team knows what they're doing."

"Yes, Jungkook, I will." I sound exasperated again - but jeez, I get the message.

"I'll see you tomorrow evening. I'll call you later."

"To check up on me?"

"Yes."

"Oh, Jungkook!" I scold him.

"Au revoir, Mrs. Jeon."

"Au revoir, Jungkook. I love you."

He inhales sharply. "And I you, Lisa."

Neither of us hangs up.

"Hang up, Jungkook," I whisper.

"You're a bossy little thing, aren't you?"