CHAPTER 34

When I reemerge into the great room, Jungkook has the house plans spread out on the dining table. He has music playing through the sound system. It stops me in my tracks.

"Mrs. Jeon," he says warmly then looks quizzically at me.

"What's this?" I ask. The music is stunning.

"Faure's Requiem. You look different," he says, distracted.

"Oh. I've not heard it before."

"It's very calming, relaxing," he says and raises an eyebrow. "Have you done something to your hair?"

"Brushed it," I mutter. I'm transported by the haunting voices. Abandoning the plans on the table, he walks toward me, a slow saunter in time to the music.

"Dance with me?" he murmurs.

"To this? It's a requiem." I squeak, shocked.

"Yes." He pulls me into his arms and holds me, burying his nose in my hair and swaying gently from side to side. He smells his heavenly self.

Oh . . . I've missed him. I wrap my arms around him and fight the urge to cry. Why are you so infuriating?

"I hate fighting with you," he whispers.

"Well, stop being such an arse."

He chuckles and the captivating sound reverberates through his chest. He tightens his hold on me. "Arse?"

"Ass."

"I prefer arse."

"You should. It suits you."

He laughs once more and kisses the top of my head.

"A requiem?" I murmur a little shocked that we are dancing to it. He shrugs. "It's just a lovely piece of music, Lisa."

Taylor coughs discreetly at the entranceway, and Jungkook releases me.

"Miss Matteo is here," he says.

Oh joy!

"Show her in," Jungkook says. He reaches over and clasps my hand as Miss Gia Matteo enters the room.

Gia Matteo is a good-looking woman - a tall, good-looking woman. She wears her short, salon-blond, perfectly layered and coiffed hair like a sophisticated crown. She's dressed in a pale gray pantsuit; the slacks and fitted jacket hug her lush curves. Her clothes look expensive. At the base of her throat, a solitary diamond glints, matching the single-carat studs in her ears. She is well groomed - one of those women who grew up with money and breeding, though her breeding seems to be lacking this evening; her pale blue blouse is undone too far. Like mine. I flush.

"Jungkook. Lisa." She beams, showing perfect white teeth, and holds out a manicured hand to shake first Jungkook's, then my hand. It means I have to release Jungkook's hand to reciprocate. She's a fraction shorter than Jungkook, but then she's in killer heels.

"Gia," Jungkook says politely. I smile coolly.

"You both look so well after your honeymoon," she says smoothly, her brown eyes gazing at Jungkook through long mascaraed lashes. Jungkook puts his arm around me, holding me close.

"We had a wonderful time, thank you." He brushes his lips against my temple, taking me by surprise.

See . . . he's mine. Annoying - infuriating, even - but mine. I grin up at him. Right now I really love you, Jungkook Jeon. I slip my hand around his waist then into his rear pocket of his pants and squeeze his behind. Gia gives us a thin smile.