10- Tennis Domination (Part 2)

Sora's POV

4th Round

The last match of the day, and if I win this, then I would be playing in the Quarterfinals tomorrow.

My opponent in this round is from Minami Daisan Junior High, a middle school that is not known for athletes. But that doesn't mean I would underestimate him.

We did the coin toss, and my opponent would be the first one to serve.

We then proceeded to do the rally warm-ups.

"Start!"

With the umpire's call, the action began. My focus was laser-sharp, my eyes on my opponent as we exchanged the first shots.

...

"Game, set, match, Hinata!"

The umpire's voice rang out, sealing my victory in this round of the tournament. The final scores were 6-2 and 6-1, with the match firmly in my favor.

This time, the match played out without any extraordinary strategies or dramatic turns. My opponent's unforced errors turned out to be their own downfall, and I found myself capitalizing on those moments. My approach was straightforward – I focused on consistency, placing the ball strategically, and waiting for the mistakes to come.

It was a reminder that in tennis, as in life, sometimes a patient and methodical approach can yield the best results.

I extended my hand toward my opponent, a gesture of sportsmanship and respect. With a firm grip, we exchanged a handshake, a silent acknowledgment of the match we had just played.

=========================

The next day...

Quarterfinals

A new day dawned, and the Quarterfinals were on the horizon – a stage where the intensity of competition reached new heights.

As I looked towards the stands, I was met with a heartening sight: a larger group of supporters had gathered, their cheers and banners waving in the air.

"It seems you have more supporters, Sora-san," my coach and club advisor observed, with a hint of satisfaction in their tone.

I nodded, a genuine smile playing on my lips. "Yeah, which makes me more fired up than before!"

My coach chuckled softly, a mix of amusement and seriousness in their tone. "Sora-san, you have to be careful from now on. I watched other matches to observe, and I saw that you might encounter this one guy."

My curiosity was piqued. "Who is this person you're talking about?"

"His name is Seishiro Nagi. He's an exchange student from Hakuho Middle School that went to Toyokuro Junior High, and from what I've observed, he's truly talented," my coach explained.

He then added, "From the first round until the 4th round, he managed to deliver six bagels and one breadstick, and all of them in straight sets."

Surprise mixed with excitement surged through me as I absorbed this information. The prospect of facing a truly formidable opponent was invigorating. Ever since entering this middle school tournament, I had been steadily winning, and the idea of a genuine challenge was like a breath of fresh air.

"If Seishiro Nagi wins his Quarterfinal and Semifinal matches, then you might just face him in the finals," my coach added.

Gratitude and determination welled up within me. "Thanks, Coach. I'm now even more excited to face him!"