20- INJURY

Under the velvety embrace of the night, Sora and Shoyo strolled homeward, their steps matching the rhythm of their shared thoughts and unspoken worries.

A contented sigh escaped Sora's lips, his limbs stretching freely after the exhilarating match they had just played. "That was a great match, wasn't it, Sho?" he chimed, his eyes reflecting the residual excitement of the game.

Shoyo, however, remained silent, his gaze fixated on Sora. Oikawa's words lingered like a heavy cloud in his mind, casting shadows over his thoughts.

Perceiving Shoyo's unusual silence, Sora's brow furrowed with concern. "Shoyo, are you okay?" he inquired, his voice laced with worry.

Shoyo shook himself from his reverie, his eyes refocusing on Sora. "Ah! Sorry, Aniki," he said, his hand absentmindedly scratching the back of his head.

A hint of confusion flashed in Sora's eyes. "Shoyo, something seems to be bothering you. You've been spacing out a lot," he observed, his tone gentle yet probing.

Shoyo released a heavy sigh, his words hesitant as he broached the topic that had been troubling him.

"Aniki, there's something I can't shake off. Before the Yukigoaka Boys Volleyball Club was formed, when did you find time to practice volleyball?" His voice was tinged with curiosity, but also a hint of suspicion.

Sora's heart skipped a beat, panic fluttering within him like a caged bird. Maintaining a calm facade, he responded, his voice betraying none of his inner turmoil.

'Calm down, Sora, there's no way in hell he knows about you being a reincarnate!' he thought, desperately trying to keep his composure.

"U-Uhm, why do you ask, Sho?" he stammered, attempting to feign innocence.

"You were the one who taught me the basics and the advanced techniques like jump serves," Shoyo continued, his words measured. "It just strikes me as odd, Aniki. You, who had no previous interest in volleyball, suddenly became proficient during middle school."

Sora felt the weight of Shoyo's scrutiny, his mind racing to find a plausible explanation. "I-I just wanted to help you on your volleyball journey, that's all," he replied, his words carefully chosen, hoping they would be enough to quell Shoyo's suspicions.

"I know that. But there's just no way that a newbie would easily know those advanced techniques," Shoyo persisted, his expression a mix of skepticism and concern. "There's also the fact that you became our 'coach' and seemed experienced in teaching us."

Sora was speechless, his mind whirling with desperation. 'Did my interference in this timeline also make him smarter and analytical?' he wondered, feeling a pang of regret for underestimating his twin's perceptiveness.

Taking a deep breath, Sora realized he had no choice but to bullshit his way out of this precarious situation.

"To tell you the truth, Shoyo," he began, his voice steadier now, "I watched a volleyball video and decided to practice the techniques myself. I figured if I could understand them well enough, I could help you and the team improve."

Shoyo raised one of his brows, "So you learned those from a video that fast?"

Sora shifted uncomfortably under Shoyo's piercing gaze, feeling the pressure of the scrutiny intensify.

He cleared his throat, attempting to maintain composure. "Well, uhm, not just one video," he stammered, his mind racing for a more convincing explanation.

"I watched multiple videos, read articles, and practiced a lot. I guess I just... caught on quickly."

Even as he spoke, Sora couldn't help but doubt the believability of his own words. He prayed that Shoyo wouldn't press further, hoping his brother would accept the explanation, no matter how flimsy it seemed.