9

"We'll look who's smiling and happy." Kerry announced as I walked in.

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't help the smile that has grown bigger on my face.

"Just yesterday you were lower than a ankle bracelet on a flat footed pygmy now it's like you got married or something." Kerry said as he put a hand a my shoulder.

I was surprised at the pretty close guess from
him. But I knew he didn't know anything about what happened so I wasn't gonna make him question further.

"Who's the lucky gal?" Kerry asked.

"Not a gal." I said.

"Ahh ok... Did you get a new car?" Kerry asked obviously not getting the hint.

"I'll tell you later Kerry." I said politely. I wasn't gonna tell him later.

"Yes yes I know, you're a private person who likes to keep his secrets." Kerry said with an eye roll. I laughed at his dramatic observation of me and got to work.

"But seriously, are you okay? Cause yesterday was a lot for you." Kerry asked.

"Yeah i'm all good now. I know it's weird, I handled it. I'm better now." I said. I was scared he would push more but he nodded and got to work.

I was working on this Javelin. It was nice and I kind of wanted to get one like this. I don't know why. But it was beautiful. It was black with a white stripes across the hood. It reminded be of James and then I felt sick again.

I pulled out my phone and called James. I knew I was overreacting but I wanted to just be sure.

"What's wrong?" James asked.

"Oh uh nothing nothing uhh..." Fuck fuck think of something!

"Do you like Chinese or McDonalds?" I asked. I knew I just set my self up but it's whatever.

"Oh uhhhh Chinese." James answered.

"I'll pick something up when I get back. What do you like?" I asked as I slid a hand across my face.

"Mmm I don't really know. How bout you chose for me." He said.

"Alright. Do you um do you like shrimp?" I asked.

"Yeah, shrimp is amazing." He said.

"Ok." I said with a slight laugh. I loved hearing his voice.

"Yeah ok i'll surprise you. I'll see you in a bit." I said. It was silent for a second before I opened my mouth again.

"Love you." I said. I squeezed my eyes shut and my heart stopped. James was quiet for what felt like forever and I thought I said the wrong thing.

Instead, I heard a laugh on the other end.

"Love you too Kirk." He said. He hung up and I felt blush crawling on my face. I bit my lip and opened my eyes back up. I looked up at the ceiling and let out a sigh. The words were replaying in my head and they just made me so overwhelmingly happy.

Kerry seemed to notice the gigantic smile on my face and wiggled his eyebrows at me. I turned away from him and tried to focus back on what I was doing.

————

"Soooo.... Kirk." Kerry started.

Scott rolled his eyes at Kerry and let a hand slide over his face in annoyance.

"Not a girlfriend, not a car..." Kerry listed with his fingers.

"You really won't give this up?" I asked.