Chapter 3

Jules

Kill me. Another dreadful year at Hogwarts with the insanity of competition from Makayla, Jordyn, and Louis awaits me behind these doors. I don't want to take it. I want to have a peaceful year. Not to mention, a mini version of Makayla, or so I was told, is coming this year, so that person will positively get Slytherin, my house. They are like monkeys competing over who gets the ripest fruit, the fruit being their place in popularity. And Makayla always wins. She always gets the fruit. So what's the point of fighting over it?

As I walk into The Great Hall, I can already see the three monkeys fighting over the fruit. The year hasn't even started yet!

I sit next to Kai, Makayla's brother, and just set my head down, waiting for the first years to get sorted so we can get this over with.

It seems to take forever before Professor McGonagall walks them all in and down the main walkway in between the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw table. I don't really pay attention to anyone getting sorted. Sure, I'll clap softly for them, but I don't care who's in my house. That is until I hear a familiar name.

"Draco Malfoy!" Professor McGonagall shouts.

All three of us, Kai, Makayla, and I, lift our heads up to see him. He walks up to the sorting hat proudly. Before the hat even touches his head, the hat yells, "Slytherin!"

I sigh. Before I get the chance to set my head back down, I hear another name come from the annoying professor's mouth. A name that almost every Slytherin could dread based on their decision. "Harry Potter!"

I focus on the boy. He's small, not too long, but not too short brunette hair, circular glasses, and wearing a robe, like all the others. He nervously walks up to the sorting hat and sits on the stool as Professor McGonagall sets the hat on his head and steps back.

"Hmm, difficult... Very difficult," the hat murmurs. "Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes. But where to put you..." I can see Harry whisper something under his breath with his eyes shut tight. I can barely make out what he's saying before the Sorting Hat interrupts. "Not Slytherin, eh?" Oh. I see. He's chosen the side to get every Slytherin to hate him. "Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, there's no doubt about that. No?" Harry whispers longer sentences, as if he's pleading to not be in Slytherin. To which the hat replies, "Well if you're sure, better be... GRYFFINDOR!"

"That bastard," I can hear Makayla mutter under her breath. Makayla is always the one who wants allies. It doesn't matter if she's friends, as long as she's safe to be allies with them, she'll jump at any shot.

A part of me was angry about Harry deflecting Slytherin as well. But, I knew that others wouldn't take it as lightly as I.

"Filthy Half-Blood," Draco scowls under his breath.

Makayla nods in agreement as the last of the first years get sorted into their houses.

"LET THE FEAST... BEGIN!"