two. bonfire

it was ironic to viviana how she always loved the color blue, the shade of the ocean, the way the waves moved so freely and unexpectedly, yet it terrified her

she went and sat down on the sand as a child, built castles, did everything child like on a beach but she never got into the water.

so here she was, grumbling as she got ready to go to a stupid beach bonfire that she didn't even know was being held as it slipped her mind.

but lilith had other choices when she showed up at her house and demanded they went, because apparently her friends that viviana didn't even want to see were going.

her friends, conrad and jeremiah.

viviana tiptoed downstairs, knowing her mother might be downstairs, which she really was, with a bottle of bourbon in her left hand as she watched a movie

viviana got out and walked to the beach, which wasn't that far away anyway, but if her aunt cordelia found out she walked, she would make sure viviana was lectured about it. that was cordelia and her way of saying she cared and loved someone.

“you made it” lilith beamed as she noticed her cousin walking around alone searching for someone.

“you didn't give me a choice” viviana shrugged as she looked around, catching justin as she did so, he was staring in their direction — no he was staring at lilith

“oh shut up” lilith laughed “ i can't wait to just get wasted”

“why?” viviana raised a brow as lilith frowned in confusion “ since when did you turn down a drink?”

“since when did you drink lilith” viviana rephrased her cousin's words as she stood quietly, and viviana could see her eyes averting to the boy near them making her swallow

“i think you should talk to him” viviana spoke softly making lilith frown “ i don't want to talk to justin”

“i never said justin” viviana laughed quietly “ he likes you and clearly you do too, i don't see a problem here”

“he doesn't . . . we don't — ” lilith tried to play it off “we are friends vivi, i don't like him and neither does he”

“he told me what happened” viviana admitted as lilith looked down as if their shoes were so interesting now

“i promise vivi i didn't act on how i feel” lilith mumbled “i would never do that to you”

“why not?” viviana knew what she had to do “ i totally think you should talk to him, hear what he has to say and just let yourself be free for once”

“ i am not going to tell the boy you have been in love with for so long that i have a silly little crush on him” lilith protested as viviana huffed

“i wasn't in love with him” viviana denied as lilith raised her eyebrows at her “besides i already have my eyes on someone else”

“wait what?” lilithʼs head turned to her cousin so fast that she felt dizzy, while viviana managed to fake a shy smile at her cousin