fourteen. just a child

things were better, way better between viviana and jeremiah

things were better, way better between viviana and jeremiah. he would hang out with her almost every day or any time he could in the last week . he would always bring her her favorite snacks that he somehow still remembered and they would sit gossiping together, on the beach, one of their cars, or just jeremiahʼs room. yet things were awkward, viviana could feel it, lilith could, jeremiah could and almost everyone that lived in susannahʼs beach house could feel it.

and justin could feel it too. so as he sat in vivianaʼs car he kept asking her questions which she never answered

she gave him the same answer everytime. “ can we get ice cream?”

“ i have no idea what you are talking about” viviana immediately replied, not even hearing him

“ are you stupid? or are you just not listening to me?” justin asked as viviana rolled her eyes

“why are you here again ?” viviana asked justin who shrugged “ because something is wrong and you are not telling me”

“nothing is wrong” viviana insisted

“ oh really?” justin huffed “ because we haven't hung out this summer , and do i need to mention the amount of times you ignore my existence?”

“ that's not true” viviana denied as justin rolled his eyes “we both know it is true, and you and lily always talked about her spending the summer here with you and the amount of stuff you two would do together”

“but all you have done this summer, is ignore her existence, just like you are ignoring mine” justin tried to keep his voice calm “ and you are not just hurting yourself you are hurting her too”

“ what do you want me to say? that i fucked up?” viviana exploded “because I know i did . . . she came here and found out i am dating her best friend from back home and i never told her about it”

“ and isabel is always with her anyway” viviana tried to play it cool

“ we both know you don't give a shit about her being there” justin didn't know what belly did to viviana, but he figured it must have been really bad

“ i just have a lot of shit going on right now” viviana sighed “i never meant to hurt her or push her away”

“ what is going on in your life viviana?” justin lost his patience “because you seem pretty good to me”

justin would have never said that to her under any circumstances, they both knew that but they both knew viviana deserved it.

“ i am trying to do better” viviana mumbled as justin scoffed “ well try harder”

“ is this . . . is this about conrad?” justin asked suddenly as viviana stayed quiet

he laughed mockingly “ oh so you are hurting everyone that gives a shit about you because of a stupid friendship that ended three years ago?”