Chapter 27: Battle of The Bridges: Bular's Bane

The suffocating dark began to dissipate, replaced by an eerie kaleidoscope of gold and green. My surroundings lacked clarity, but the space felt charged with an old, menacing energy. Slowly, the glittering motes began to condense, though not into a shape I could recognize.

A haunting voice, seemingly coming from everywhere and nowhere, sliced through the ethereal mist. "You, young one, dare to oppose me by aligning with the Trollhunter? Your naivety is almost... endearing."

Recognition surged through me, the voice's timbre striking a chord of dread in my heart.

Morgana.

Even in this dreamlike state, her presence felt oppressive, a looming storm on the horizon.

"Your threats won't sway me," I managed to stammer, my voice edged with defiance. "...I'll stand against you, with or without the Trollhunter."

Her laughter, cold and mocking, filled the void. "Such bravery, misguided though it may be. With each 'achievement,' you think you're freeing yourself, but in reality, you're only tethering yourself closer to my will. Every triumph, every moment of pride brings you nearer to my embrace."

The dream's fabric began to unravel, the shimmering particles scattering. Yet Morgana's voice persisted, echoing with a chilling promise. "Even when you think you're farthest from me, remember, I'm always with you. And soon, the line between us will blur until it disappears entirely."

A suffocating weight descended upon me, forcing me awake with a start. My pulse raced, and sheets tangled around my sweat-drenched form. It had felt too real, too visceral, to be just a dream. The fear it birthed was tangible, a heavy stone in my chest.

.

.

.

The weight of his eyelids felt heavy, pulling Y/N back into consciousness. Before he could register his surroundings, a familiar voice echoed through the room. Jim had repeatedly played that voicemail, and even in Y/N's half-conscious state earlier, it had pierced through.

"Master Jim, Master Y/N," Blinky's voice was urgent, echoing from the device in Jim's hand. "You must listen to me very carefully. They've captured me and want you to come to the Bridge, Master Jim... alone."

There was a scuffle, voices raised, a sense of chaos unfurling.

Strickler's voice, smooth and ominous, came through next, "It appears things have grown awkward, Mr. Lake. Meet me in the alley beside the theater if you ever want to see your friend again."

Blinky's panicked scream followed, "Don't open the Bridge! Under no circumstan—" The voicemail cut off abruptly.

Jim, eyes laden with worry, admitted, "I've listened to it a hundred times now, and I still don't know what to do."

Toby responded, "You don't have to do this alone. You've got Aaarrrgghh, Draal, me..."

"...And me," Y/N interjected, voice groggy from his rest but steady with determination, "I've been hearing that voicemail even in my sleep, Jim."

Jim's gaze met Y/N's. There was an unsaid understanding between them. "They said I had to be alone," Jim stated, addressing Toby's earlier optimism.

Toby, never one to be deterred, said, "Blinky made it clear. Under no circumstances."

Jim's voice lowered, hinting at a burden only he felt he had to bear, "Enough friends have gotten hurt because of me. No more."

Then Toby, with a hint of mischief and camaraderie, pulled out two amulets, handing one to Jim and Y/N. "Here. I picked them up in the woods after they dragged you both away. Thought since we found out about all this together, we'd always be in this together."