Chapter 34: Airheads

In the heart of Hero's Forge, Claire stands frustrated and challenged, wrestling with the uncooperative Shadow Staff. It remains stubbornly silent, indifferent to her efforts to command it to open a portal.

"Why won't the Shadow Staff make a portal?" Claire vents, her irritation evident. Draal, towering yet gentle, steps closer, his large hand guiding Claire to halt her futile attempts.

"Patience, young one," he counsels, his deep voice soothing. "The staff requires not just command, but connection. Focus. Let your will resonate with its essence."

Claire pauses, contemplating Draal's advice, her gaze shifting from the staff to the expectant eyes of her towering tutor.

"Emotions fuel its power," Draal continues, interrupted by an outburst from Toby, who's been mock-boxing with Aaarrrgghh across the room. His punches, though lacking a natural target, carry the weight of his envy.

"I don't get it. Claire's the rookie, and she's already wielding the cool, ancient Shadow Staff?" Toby complains, his voice laced with jealousy. In his zeal, he misjudges his strength, causing Aaarrrgghh to grimace and retreat, leading to Toby's comical stumble and fall.

Picking himself up, Toby grumbles, "Been at Jim and Y/N's side from the start. What's my reward? Sidekick duty?"

Meanwhile, Claire heeds Draal's advice, her movements becoming more deliberate, trying to sync her intentions with the staff's ancient power. Draal nods in approval, witnessing the beginning of a bond between the Shadow Staff and its new wielder, while Toby nurses his pride, still dreaming of his moment in the limelight.

Draal watches Claire as she spins and twirls the Shadow Staff, her movements more erratic than a cat chasing a laser pointer. He throws out a cautious, "Careful now," but it's like whispering in a hurricane.

Over in their corner, Toby's sprawled on the ground, looking up at Aaarrrgghh with admiration and a slight bruise to his ego. "Got me, Wingman," Aaarrrgghh rumbles, offering a hand to help Toby up.

"Aw, buddy!" Toby beams, dusting himself off. They can't help but sneak peeks at Claire, who's now performing a solo ballet with the staff as her partner.

"The Shadow Staff is a weapon of great—Whoa!" Draal nearly gets a new haircut courtesy of the staff whizzing by his head. He finishes his sentence with a yelp and a quick duck, "Power."

On the sidelines, Toby's found a new sparring partner: a broom. He swings it around with all the grace of a toddler in a sword fight, accidentally giving Aaarrrgghh a gentle tap on the nose. "Ee-yah!" he exclaims, followed by a nervous chuckle as Aaarrrgghh stands there, unbothered like he's been hit by a leaf.

As Claire continues her dance with the Shadow Staff, frustration mounting with each swing that feels just short of effective, Toby, on the other hand, engages in a less-than-glorious duel with his broom. Their parallel struggles fill the room, contrasting determined focus and comedic relief. Aaarrrgghh, acting as an immovable object to Toby's unstoppable force, easily deflects the broom's every jab with a single finger, his expression unchanging.

The energy in the room shifts palpably as Claire's annoyance peaks. Her grip on the staff tightens, a tangible wave of her emotions channeling into the ancient weapon. Suddenly, the staff seems to come alive, cloaked in darkness that mirrors Claire's frustration. It is a stark reminder of the power lying dormant within, waiting for the right emotional key to unleash its true capabilities.

Claire throws her hands up in exasperation, "Why won't this thing work?" she demands, more to the universe than anyone in particular. Just as she's about to give up hope, a small black portal winks into existence from the staff, catching everyone off guard.