Chapter Twenty-one: Painting.

May 28th, 1967

Me, Cherry and Marcia were walking down the hallways, to our next class.

"So, girls." I asked. "How do you feel about graduation next month?"

"Nerve wracking." Marcia said.

"How's your heart?" Cherry asked.

"It's alright." Marcia sighed. "Ever since what happened not that long ago, I'm trying not to react so quickly."

Poor Marcia. I felt bad. She ended up shot by that bastard, who pushed me with his car.

"Well, this graduation is going to be the best one yet." Cherry admitted.

"I can't believe it." Riley sighed. "High School's almost over."

"We should get to class." Cherry offered.

"Yeah, we should." I replied.

And with that, me and Cherry helped Marcia inside her class. Then me and Cherry walked inside our classroom we both have. Painting.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen." Mr.Lilih announced. "Welcome to Painting, room 201."

"What are we doing today Mr Lilih?" An student behind me asked.

"This is an painting classroom." Lilih continued. "Of course you already know, this is an art class. Today, we will be moving forward to our next painting project."

"What project? An leprechaun?" Rodger snickered.

"Very funny." Lilih said sternly. "How would you like this joke?"

"Okay, shoot." Rodger snickered.

"What do you call a student who makes jokes bout art?" Lilih suggested.

Mr Lilih clapped his hands together and opened the door. "To the principal office!"

"Hahaha!" A bunch of students laughed. I laughed too, but not as much.

"Ugh, you can't send me there." Rodger rolled his eyes. "I already did my time during suspension."

"I don't care if you had suspension during spring break or during a week of school." Lilih admitted. "You will go to the principal's office as I say. You are being ignorant."

"Fine." Rodger snickered and shoved Lilith as he left and slammed down the door.

Lilih cooled himself down and went back to face the class.

"Students, attention." Mr. Lilih added. "Our next art project is an self portrait of yourself behind any majestic backgrounds."

I raised my hand. "Yes, Jones?"

"When you say majestic backgrounds, do you mean like a background of a forest or something?" I asked.

"Of course." He replied politely. "It can be from a forest to an playhouse. An cottage to an kingdom! Use your imagination, but asides all that. Include a self portrait of yourself."

The class went silent. "Well, I guess that means we shall start." Lilih clapped his hands together. "Please pick up an blank canvas from the closet on the right."

Ten minutes later

It had been ten minutes of Painting, and everyone had gotten their blank canvas and went back to their seats.

"If you need any supplies." Lilih continued. "There's some brushes right here on my desk in this little box."
"Keep in mind, this assignment is due on June 4th."

He stopped talking after he had mentioned that.

"Riley." Cherry whispered as she sat next to me.

"What is it?" I whispered back.

"I have never felt this much pressure before on an assignment." Cherry admitted.

"It's basically a self portrait." I continued. "We can do what we want with the backgrounds, as long as we include the portrait of our faces."

"I'm not sure if I can handle that well." Cherry admitted.

"Just take the oils of your choice, and an paintbrush. You probably need an reference." Riley suggested.

"Probably." Cherry agreed.

At Phoenix Park: (4 pm.)

Cherry and Riley had their canvas on their stills, with an selection of eight colors and four paint brushes. Both of them sat on the stool, looking at the ducks that were walking on the fine grass underneath the cherry blossom trees.

"Why are we at the park?" Cherry questioned.

"Didn't you say you need inspiration for your painting?" Riley asked. "Remember, you have to include an background of whatever you're connected with. But add yourself to."

"What should I do though?" Cherry asked while holding her brush.

"Look what's in front of you." Riley continued. "You see." She picked up an paint brush and she dipped it into the blue paint. Riley spread all across the top of the canvas. Showing an bright blue sky with fluffy white clouds.

"That's beautiful." Cherry insisted. "But, I don't know if an sky like yours is going to help me be inspired."

"Look at the ground, Cherry." Riley suggested. "There are baby birds trying to walk, who aren't even flying yet. Soft and yellow. And look, one of them is learning how to fly."

"Aww." Cherry squealed. "That's so cute. I'mma paint the birds with me in it."

"Ooo." Riley said. "Go for it."

Cherry painted the whole background an bright pink from the cherry blossom trees across the grass. She added three yellow birds flying in the air, with herself in the bottom part of the portrait staring at the birds.

Riley looked at it. "That's amazing." You did it."

"Thanks." Cherry smiled.

Riley finished her painting too. She had an bright blue sky, with fluffy white clouds, and her staring at the sunset with an rose bouquet in her hands wearing an yellow and orange dress.

"That's lovely." Cherry said.

"Thanks." Riley smiled. "Let's head home now."