Chapter 2- The Run

The first rays of sunlight were starting to show over the horizon.  A very exhausted Jason was relieved when Hodge clapped him on the shoulder and and relieved him of his post.  He walked back to his tent and laid down on his cot, savoring the sleep. 

As Jason slept, Captain Chambers got some men together for a supply run.  "Alright men, intel indicates that there's a village nearby that could hold some valuable things that we'll need, we'll be in and out, no one will know we were ever there, Dawson, Mason, Dawn, Alberts, on me," said Chambers.  "Aye sir," said Dawson as the other's followed behind.  The team followed a handwritten map that Chambers had made and eventually found the small village.  It was abandoned, and an eerie silence was spread over the village.  Several buildings were riddled with bullet holes, blood stains could be seen on the ground and on walls, and the team did pass the occasional dead body, picked clean of anything useful.  Captain Chambers had laid out a list of things they were looking for.  The basics were food, preferrably canned, fresh water, medical supplies, and hopefully ammunition.  They approached the first house, Dawson leading with his shotgun.  He opened the door gently and slowly swept the house.  They managed to find some canned goods, soap, toilet paper, a lighter, and some matches.  They were moving to the next house when all of a sudden, a shotgun blast rang out.  Dawson kicked the door open and the men ran inside, slamming the door and rapidly going behind cover.  More gunshots rang out and profanity laced yells in russian were being heard.  Captain Chambers pointed his rifle at the front door, preparing to fire at anything that came inside.  Dawson stood behind a doorway while Mason and Alberts went to the second floor to look through the windows.  All of a sudden, automatic machine gun fire rang out.  After a long sustained burst, things went silent.  "Mason, Alberts, you see anything?" radioed Chris.  Mason looked out the window to spy several heavily armed men with modern body armor, combat gear, and wearing dark green uniforms, the most obvious detail with the insignia on their left sleeves.  "BEAR, 11 o'clock," radioed Mason.  Alberts took aim at the leader of the squad.  "Permission to engage?" radioed Alberts.  "Negative, stand down now," hissed Chris over the radio.  "Roger that," said Alberts as he and Mason ducked out of sight.  

"Jason wake up," said Hodge as he chucked an MRE at him.  "Thanks man," said Jason as he heated up the pack of chili mac.  "Don't mention it man, how are you feeling," he asked.  "Im ok for the most part, just tired," said Jason as he opened up the pack and began eating.  "You think we're gonna accomplish this mission?" asked Hodge.  "I hope so man, I wanna get out of here as quick as possible," said Jason, shaking a packet of fruit punch and taking a sip.  "What do you think of terragroup, you really think we're gonna get our paychecks from them?" asked Jason between sips.  "I don't know, they don't tell us anything and to be honest, its kinda shady, what evidence are we liquidating?" asked Hodge.  Jason shrugged as he finished his chili mac and fruit punch.  "Hey, Captain's back," said Williams.  Jason stuffed the slice of pound cake into his mouth before walking out with Hodge. After a quick debrief, the other men not on watch pitched in helping the recon team unpack their supplies.  "We had an encounter," said Chris.  "What happened," asked Jason.  "We ran into BEAR, they're closer than we thought," he said.  "Wait, so what now?" asked Hodge.  "Well, we just have to be more careful, make sure we're covering our tracks," he said.  Just as Chris had finished talking, Jason heard something land a few feet away from him.  He looked over and his eyes widened as he saw the thing that had just landed.  "GRENADE!" he yelled.