Chapter 10- Confusion and Introductions

Jason didn't remember the journey back to the hideout.  He didn't remember taking the fallen BEAR's belongings or the long firefight.  The only thing he could remember was whatever that thing was.  Not only did have to worry about some gang leader attacking him, he now had to worry about a giant maniac with a sledgehammer.  He struggled to push these thoughts aside as he walked into the hideout, greeted by Nikita and Natalia.  The former helped Jason go through what he found but froze suddenly when Jason brought up the man.  "Him?  You ran into him?" said Nikita as a shiver went down his spine.  "Who is he?" asked Jason, confused and a bit worried.  Nikita exhaled before speaking again.   "You wouldn't know him, but the person you ran into is dangerous," said Nikita.  "No shit," said Jason.  "Well, he used to be a foreman at that factory before the incident,  during the panic, he used that sledgehammer to kill his boss," said Nikita.  Jason gulped.  "What happened afterwards?" he asked.  "He took control of the factory, and everyone in it, USEC and BEAR tried to chase him and his thugs out, to no avail," said Nikita.  "Who is he?"  asked Jason.  "The only name I've heard him go by, is Tagilla," said Nikita.  Just then, gunshots erupted outside. 

Reshala and his goons had returned to the saw mill.  Standing in front of them was Schturman, this time with both of his accomplices at his side.  "Have you found him?" asked Reshala.  Schturman said nothing.  "I paid you, I want answers," said Reshala gruffly.  Schturman simply held out his hand.  Reshala sighed and handed Schturman a wooden box of grenades.  Upon opening and inspecting them, Schturman handed them to one of his followers.  "We've been monitoring all known USEC squads, none of the operators in them match the description you gave me," said Schturman.  "Well then why the hell am I paying you?" said Reshala in an annoyed tone.  "Im not finished," said Schturman in a similar tone.  "Despite this, something of interest has come up, we've been hearing talk about a scav working with a lone USEC," said Schturman.  "Is it THE USEC?" asked Reshala.  "Not sure, but if it is him, I don't understand why he's a threat, they travel in groups, this one is alone, most likely his comrades abandoned him or were killed," said Schturman.  "Or he has or knows something of value," said Reshala.  "What are you talking about?" asked Schturman, this time intrigued.  "He is alone, if he has been abandoned or his comrades killed, he must have something others want, it could be anything," said Reshala.   Schturman pondered this possibility.  "This is definitely a unique opportunity then.  Risky, troublesome... but it is intriguing nonetheless," he said.  

Jason and Nikita grabbed their rifles and ran out to chase off whatever was outside.  Just as they got outside, they were surprised to see a USEC and a BEAR operative fighting together against a band of what appeared to be scavs.  "Shit, you take left, I'll take right, we'll flank em!" Jason yelled to Nikita, who nodded and ran out.  As Jason charged on his side, Nikita pulled out an old russian F-1 grenade, pulled the pin, and hurled it at the attackers.  The blast didn't claim any lives but disoriented the intruders.  Jason posted up behind a tree and leveled the red dot of his optic onto one of the scav's heads.  He gently squeezed the trigger and was rewarded by the spray of red mist as a result of the bullet hitting it's intended target.  Nikita fired a long burst from his AKM but had to quickly duck behind a log to avoid returning fire.  The other USEC charged ahead and hit one of the scavs in the face with the butt of his rifle before finishing the scav and the BEAR kicked the last scav down, pulled out his pistol, and executed the scav.  Nikita then climbed out from behind the log and pointed his ak at them.  Jason did the same, keeping his rifle trained on the BEAR in particular.  "Drop the guns, hands on your head, knees in the dirt, now," said Jason.  The 2 men obeyed, Nikita swooped in and took their weapons.  "Now, who are you?" asked Jason.  "Private First Class Daniel Swanson, USEC Squad 19!" said the USEC.  "Good, now you," said Jason turning towards the BEAR.  "Andrei Reinovski, BEAR Squad 2," said the BEAR.  "Ok, you boys friendly?" asked Jason.  Daniel nodded but Andrei remained emotionless.  Daniel then looked over at Andrei.  "Hey man, its ok, just say you're friendly," he said.  "Friendly," Andrei said flatly.  Jason lowered his weapon.  "Good, both of you get your asses inside, more might be coming," he said.  

Unbeknownst to the parties involved,  a third pair of eyes was watching them through binoculars in a nearby tree.  "Hmmm, interesting," said a familar hooded figure.