Chapter 9- The Hammer

Jason sat in a corner reading the maps Natalia had in her rucksack while she continued to sit on his bed and glare at him.   A map for a factory caught his eye.  He was looking at the floorplans and studying some of the diagrams and notes.  What was even better was that he could possibly link up with other USECs there and find a better spot to hold out.  Excited, he grabbed the radio and told Nikita to watch Natalia while he was out.  He then put on his body armor, tactical rig, helmet, headset, and backpack.  Nikita came through the door just as Jason was leaving.  "Watch her," he said before heading out.

He followed the map, taking care to avoid Scavs and other PMCs.  He opened the metal door and entered into a room with metal walls and some empty crates.  His heart started beating as he opened another door and looked around, this time surrounded by forklifts.  He flinched slightly as gunfire began to ring out all around the factory.  Against his better judgement, he ran to it.  Reaching the area where the shots were heard, Jason dove behind a piece of concrete as 3 BEAR PMCs came into view.  Saying something in russian, they looked around, scanning carefully for movement.  One of them motioned to the others and said something in russian.  The other 2 obeyed and they began walking off.  Jason carefully reached with his finger and switched his rifle from semiauto to full auto.  One thing he forgot to account for however, was the click.  Upon hearing the noise, all 3 BEAR's turned around and began opening fire blindly.  Jason inhaled sharply before raising his rifle and firing a long burst of cover fire, hitting all 3 BEAR's.  He then manuvered behind a shipping container and was shocked to notice the BEAR's shrug off the gunshots like they were nothing and continue charging.  Beginning to panic, Jason quickly yanked the magazine out of his rifle and inserted a new one.  He then ran to one corner of the container and engaged one of the BEAR's, this time taking care to make killshots.  Riddled with bullets, the BEAR tried to run away.  Jason, quick as a flash, raised his rifle and sent a bullet through the BEAR's head, killing him instantly.  Before he had a chance to savor this kill, a seering hot pain ripped through Jason's back.  One of the BEAR's caught up to him and shot him in the back.  Despite his body armor stopping it, he knew it was time to run.  He ran from hall to hall, desparately trying to escape the angry russians on his tail.  Out of breath, he ducked behind a forklift and checked his rifle.  Jammed.  The BEARs stopped, knowing Jason was behind the forklift.  "Surrender American," said one of them.  Jason stayed silent.   "We know you are there," said the other.  

Unbeknownst to the 2 BEARs, a 3rd party had entered the firefight.  Jason peaked around a corner and saw him.  6 foot 5, heavily muscled, covered in tattoos, thick plate carrier, no shirt, heavy welding mask, and holding an almost medieval  object in his hands.  Suddenly, a soft yet powerful THUD was heard as what appeared to be the devil himself swung a sledgehammer, making contact with one of the BEAR's craniums.  The PMC fell to the ground, writhing around, no longer able to breathe properly due to both the heavy stimulants in his body and the blunt force trauma to his head.  The figure simply laughed out loud as he brought the sledgehammer down again, pulverizing the poor BEAR's head.  The other BEAR dropped his rifle in fear and began slowly stepping back.  Without saying another word, the monstrocity of a man turned around, grabbed the PMC by his neck and lifted him off the ground.  Jason looked away but nothing could stop the loud, sickening crunch of the BEAR's neck breaking.  Jason took one last look at the demon in front of him.  The giant simply tossed the lifeless body aside, taking nothing, grabbed his hammer, and walked away, into the darkness of the factory.