Chapter 15- Metaphors and Realizations

The scavs had come back with thier usual hall.  Jason and Daniel took to sorting it out, taking supplies for the hideout and giving the rest back to the scavs who needed it more than they did.  Within the pile of items, Jason found something cool.  "Hey Daniel look, its a Gphone X," he said.  "Cool man, you should keep that," said Daniel.  "I will," said Jason casually as he plugged the charger into the wall.  "We got the wifi up yet?" asked Jason.  "Nah, Nikita hasn't found any parts yet and Andrei doesn't have the tools," said Daniel.  "Damn it," said Jason in a slightly disappointed tone as he powered the phone on.  "Hey look, its got a bunch of songs on here, check it out Holy Wars is on here," he said.  "Didn't think you were a Megadeth fan Jason," said Daniel.  Jason shrugged off the comment and the song played.  The guitar intro was rocking out and it felt like a shred of normal to him.  As soon as the lyrics kicked in, however, something changed.  "Brother will kill brother, spilling blood across the land."  "Why did that sound so familiar?" he wondered allowed.  "Fools like me, who cross the sea and come to foreign lands."  "A country that's divided surely will not stand."  "The end is near, it's crystal clear, part of the master plan."  "Daniel," said Jason.  "What's up?" asked Daniel.  "Do you think these lyrics have kinda come true?" asked Jason.  "What do you mean?" asked Daniel.  "Look around us, we've seen the scavs kill eachother, brother will kill brother, spilling blood across the land," said Jason.  Daniel thought.  "Do you think Terragroup has some kind of master plan here?" asked Jason.  "I don't know, I wasn't here when things went bad," said Daniel.  "Neither was I, I was with Operation Fast Track," said Jason.  "Operation Fast Track, that was you?" asked Daniel.  "Yeah, damn scavs killed my whole squad, I got lucky," said Jason.  "What was your mission?" asked Daniel.  "You first," said Jason.  "Our mission was to destroy a BEAR stronghold and seize the intel, however the mission went belly up when we got intercepted a group of russian soldiers at the Reserve," said Daniel.  "Wait, like real russian soldiers, not BEAR?" asked Jason.  "No, they didn't have any BEAR identification on them, the leader also had this tattoo on his arm, it signified he was a russian marine," said Daniel.  "Shit," said Jason.  "They cut up my squad, I only managed to escape cause another firefight broke out with BEAR, that's when I met Andrei," said Daniel.  "Damn, looks like I'm not the only lucky one here," Jason said.  "Now what about you?" asked Daniel.  "Our mission was to liquidate elicit evidence of Terragroup activity, however I don't even know where to start, those files make no sense, I can't look at the flashdrives, and I have yet to find any Terragroup site to investigate," said Jason.  "That can't be right," said Daniel.  "What do you mean?" asked Jason.  "You're not here to save anyone or destroy something, you're a glorified garbage man," said Daniel.  Jason was silent.  Daniel put his hand on Jason's shoulder.  "You're not gonna like this but you need to hear it, your mission is broad. too broad.  This isn't a mission at all, its a gamble, and your squad represents the chips," said Daniel.  "What the hell?" said Jason.  "If you complete it, which is unlikely, you'll have to live down the guilt of destroying horrifying secrets and quite possibly the most horrible things in the world, but if you fail or refuse to complete your mission, not only will the kingpins here hunt you, Terragroup themselves, will hunt you," said Daniel.  "How do you know all this?" asked Jason.  "I've seen what Terragroup has done to traitors, be careful, what you find might change you forever," warned Daniel.  

Meanwhile in a highrise building in Germany, a group of elites sat around a long table, soundproff privacy glass surrounded them, the logo on the table read in large bold letters, "TERRAGROUP LABS".  "Good evening to you all, as you know, we are here to discuss Operation Fast Track," said the executive at the head of the table.  "We have been informed that our associate known by the psudonym Reshala has been terminated by none other than our very own Private Jason Mitchell.  We also saw from hidden camera footage that Mr. Mitchell now is in the possession of several folders worth of intel, a handful of flashdrives, and the bitcoin we gave to our associate, however due to a lack of communication, we are unsure if he has liquidated this evidence as of right now," he said.  "This man is a liability, I said it in the meeting with Kernighan and I am saying it again, he is overstepping the bounds of this mission, we are risking compromising our entire security structure," said a familiar female voice, no longer computerized.  "I understand your concerns Miss Kahn, however we cannot risk terminating this operator who for all we know is performing his duties as instructed in an effective manner," said the lead executive.  "David, you know as well as I do that the operators are prone to having psychological breakdowns and with a mission such as this, I suggested from the beginning that the Black Division handle it and I stand by it, we should deploy OUR forces instead of Kernighen's, get the intel, destroy it, and terminate this lone operator who has failed in his-" "AMELIA!" roared David.  "Our decision is final, if so much as one boot touches the ground I will have you expelled from this group and from this company is that understood?" said David.  Amelia was silent.  "Good, now we have other matters to attend to, all of us, meeting adjourned," said David.