Chapter 3- The Ravine

The grenade went off, throwing Jason back several feet.  3 USECs were wounded in the blast.  A man jumped out of a bush and fired an old russian bolt action rifle at Captain Chambers, who raised his rifle and fired back, hitting the man in the chest.  Jason crawled into his tent and put on his armor, tactical rig, ear protection, and helmet.  He then grabbed his backpack and rifle and ran out of the tent.  Hodge, Williams, and Dawn all joined in firing back at the attackers.  4 more men ran to a nearby tree stump and began firing a volley of AKM rounds at them.  Hughes was hit in the arm and recoiled for a second before rejoining the fight.  One of the attackers saw Jason and fired his semi-automatic hunting rifle at him.  He ran along the edge of the ravine, firing back and killing an attacker.  He then turned and watched Chris charge forward, firing his rifle, dropping the empty magazine, and smacking in a new one.  After his last magazine ran dry, he switched to his sidearm, a Beretta M9A3.  He continued firing back, inflicting heavy casualties.  "Come on you ruskie bastards, do your fucking worst!" he yelled.  One of the attackers pointed his shotgun at Captain Chambers and fired.  The shot hit him square in the chest.  He stumbled, struggling for breath, as another walked up, said something in russian, and then shot him in the face with his makarov pistol.  Captain Chris Chambers, Father of 2, husband of Lauren, fell to the ground dead.  Jason was filled with rage as he witnessed this.  He switched his rifle to it's full auto fire selection and proceeded to empty his entire magazine into the direction of the attackers, hitting and killing Captain Chambers' killer and a couple other.  Just as he paused to reload, an attacker ducked around a tree and fired, hitting Jason in the shoulder, throwing him off the edge of the ravine.  

Jason rolled down the embankment of the ravine like a tumbleweed.  Branches, bushes, thorns, and pinecones cut his skin as he continued tumbling down.  Although his helmet and vest protected the vital areas of his body, his arms, legs, and face were being cut more with every tumble he took.  Eventually, he came to a stop at the bottom of the ravine in a pile of dead pine needles, which he felt stab into his neck and hands.  His vision was swirling and everything hurt.  He tried hard to inhale fresh air but his throat and nostrils were full of dirt.  After a couple seconds of coughing and sputtering, his airways had cleared somewhat and he took some breaths.  He slowly sat up only to hear the sound of gunshots silence suddenly.  Jason then realized that this most likely meant all his comrades were dead.  Sadness suddenly turned to panic as Jason realized that if his attackers were smart enough to disorient them with a grenade before beginning their assault, they would definitely get suspicious when they realized one body was missing.  Without thinking, Jason tore out into the woods, not caring to hide his blind escape attempt.  Despite all the stinging from scratches, the pain in his shoulder from his gunshot wound, and the disorientation from the grenade blast and fall, he kept going.  He never looked back, not once.  Eventually, exhausted from thirst and out of breath, Jason paused in a clearing.  His shoulder was starting to bleed and the pain was setting in as the adrenaline wore off.  He quickly took a bandage out of his pack and wrapped it around the wound, preventing any light bleeding.  He also looked around and realized that he had only one MRE, a bottle of water, 3 extra mags, his sidearm, and no idea where he was, so he had to be smart.  "Well shit," he said to himself as he kept walking.

2 days later.  Starving and out of water, Jason was running out of ideas.  Delirium from lack of food and water was beginning to set in as he felt more and more hopeless.  His comrades were all dead, his gunshot wound was killing him, and he still had no idea where he was.  Eventually, he came to a stop in another densely wooded area and collapsed onto the ground.  "I'm sorry," was all he said as he laid on the ground dying.  Of all the places he imagined himself dying, he never thought he would end up dying in the woods of the Norvinsk Region on... concrete?  He ran his hand over the ground to feel concrete.  Why did he feel concrete in the middle of a forest?  Curiosity had him so he haphazardly stood back up, clumsily following the concrete until it led to "Stairs?" he asked himself as he walked down curiously.  He walked down the steps to find "A bomb shelter!" he said out loud as the hopelessness turned into pure joy.  He looked around and saw crates labelled "Fragile, handle with care," and several that were labelled "USEC, open in case of emergency".  A smile spread across his face as he promptly took off his backpack and helmet and fell asleep on the concrete floor of the old, filthy, dilapidated, empty, forgotten, and trash filled bomb shelter.