Chapter Five

I  slowly walked up the creaky stairs hearing little knocks coming from the inside of the walls. I took out my phone from my back pocket and started texting Gianna to warn her of what had just happened. When I arrived the top of the stairs, my phone shut off and I couldn't turn it back on. It seemed like something that would happen in a horror movie, right before the character died.

I faced the old, chestnut colored door at the top of the stairs, and could only think of what terrible thing was waiting for me on the other side. I extended my arm out to the doorknob and turned it cautiously. I walked into the attic and looked around on the right side. I turned around, and there I saw. Clear as day.He was much taller then me. About 6'8 I would say. His brown eyes were glaring down into mine. And the worst part,his hair was red. It was undoubtedly the same man who had killed my sister previously. He began to steadily walked closer to me and as soon as he was within an arm's length, I punched him in the gut, and slammed the door shut behind me. Was he the one who reached out of the side panel near the door way? At this point, I didn't care. I needed to get out of my house. I bolted down the stairs, hoping that my clumsiness wouldn't catch up to me, and threw open the door at the bottom of the stairs.

 I ran into the kitchen, grabbed my backpack, turned around and there I saw him standing at the base of the stairs, eerily turning his head side to side with a crooked smile plastered on his face. He was looking for me, I know it. Before he saw me, I ran outside through the back door and walked around the house. Slowly, I walked, pondering about what just happened.

When I got to the front yard, he was there, standing in my doorway doing the same thing he was doing before. Standing there, turning his head looking for me, with that gross, yellowed smile. I ran down the block as fast as my legs would carry me, not stopping or looking back for anything.

I sprinted to Gianna's house and didn't even bother knocking on the door. I ran straight in, passing her mother in the kitchen, and turning the corner into her room. "Hey Gi. Something came up and I don't want to go home. I just want to get it off of my mind. Can I sleepover?" I said.

"What happened? Of course you can sleepover!" replied Gianna

"I'd rather not talk about it right now. It's not important. Can we just do something fun?" I said.

"Totally! We'll have fun!" She said. Gianna popped in a funny movie, and we fell asleep.

The next day, school went fine and I told Gianna what had happened the night before. She was shocked, I felt the same way. I didn't want to go back to my house that day after school. Gianna invited me over and we hung out for a while. Around 5 o'clock, I got a call on my cellphone. Who was it? No one ever called me. I don't even know why I had a phone...

It was an unknown number. I picked it up anyways, praying that it wasn't the red headed man with the hockey stick, and there was a manly voice on the other side of the line. "Excuse me, is the River Hewiit? It's urgent." Said the voice.

"Yes, this is she. What's going on?" I replied.

"You need to come home right away. Something has occurred and you may want to know about it," he said. I explained the conversation to Gianna, and quickly left. I ran home, thinking that they caught the red headed man. As I approached my house, all I saw was police tape, many police cars and most of the neighbors, biting on their nails. I shoved everyone out of the way and abruptly stopped in the door way. This could not be happening. No.