Chapter 2

When you find yourself

In some far off place...

"Yes, you can choose a flight ticket to another destination as long as it is in Greece and the same standard," the employee of Greek National Airlines advised to the small group of foreigners that was courageous enough to ask. But the confusion in employee's eyes was speaking loudly: "Why do you want to change the flight ticket? You wanted to travel to Crete, no? Why don't you just take a coffee and wait? The bad weather over the Cretan Sea will be gone in just few, like 4 or 6, hours. Then you can go...".

Well, wanna some examples? Somebody was in hurry to proceed their backpack adventure and decided to change plans with Crete visiting later on. Somebody wanted to party as soon as possible and did not want to miss a night. As long as you did not book your hotel fixed, you could consider this option.
And someone like Dian, who planned to find an available room only after arrival to the island and to whom the destination was not important as long as it was promising a warm weather and the vicinity of a sea coast...could tell the employee who was issuing his new flight ticket: "Let me be surprised."

And so, an hour later, he found himself up in the sky on his way to an island somewhere on the north periphery of Greek Republic. It should be called Corfu, or Kerkyra...? He read before that Greece practically does not have an ugly or unpleasant island. At least not a one with an airport for tourists on it. So, Dian did not even bother to check on internet before he switched off his phone in plane's cabin.

Right after take-off he fell asleep. It was only 6 in the morning when they were rolling towards west. The flight from Athens should take about 55 minutes and it could be an hour of sweet dreams only if the unpleasant sound of captain speaking through a cracked microphone did not wake him up soon after they reached the flight level. To chase away the figures from his disconnected dream he opened the window blind to look outside.

What he saw was the avantgarde of the times coming. A welcome greeting of the magical island lying ahead...

If you told anybody that you saw a sunrainbow in the sky, they would ask you if you believe in unicorns as well...but that was exactly what was happening outside...

A burning orange sun rising to a new day. Layers of coloured sky on both of its sides...changing from yellow and orange to green and blue...

How could this not be taken as a heavenly sign...?

Dian took a picture with his phone but even though his camera was superb it could not catch all the vivid colours like a human eye could see them. The photo of such a miraculous moment looked like cheap Photoshop cliche.
Dian saved it just as a memory for himself. Nobody would believe him anyway if he posts it on his travel blog.

But in the weeks following his arrival to this fresh green island, despite his conviction not to believe in signs, he used to go back to this picture as if he was hoping for an answer.

The answer if this is the place.