Chapter 8

They arrived to the village in the mountains closely before dusk and parked the car on probably the last free space.

Tiny is exactly the word that would pop up in one's mind after seeing those dozen of houses sitting next to each other around a small square. Five more cottages were scattered in the olive groves, without a proper road to lead to them, and that was the whole community.

The genius loci of this picturesque place was amplified by the fact that unlike almost all other towns or villages in the hills of Corfu, this one did not have a seaview. Indeed, looked like it was purposely hidden in the shadows of the silver green forests.
While down on the coast the sun was still shining, up here the twilight was almost gone.

Music was already playing from the speakers. Although the tables were ready for the evening and the women and girls were bringing the meals of any possible choice, there was still time to go to greet the honourable person.

Dian followed Thanos into the forest to a little cottage on the end of all the roads. Looked like they returned 60 years into the past.
Inside, an old woman was cooking something deliciously smelling in a big pot. Though she must have been in her eighties, she was very lively. And very excited to see "her little Thanosis" as she used to call him twenty years ago.

"I am so glad to see you," replied Thanos. "As I told you in advance, I have brought a friend, Dian." Although Thanos was speaking Greek, one could understand the situation as some things are the same in all cultures. Dian greeted with his little Greek this obviously important woman of Thanos' life.
The old woman replied in English with a strong Greek accent: "Nice to meet you, my child. I am Thanos'..." she looked at the once boy - now a grown up man...
"Γιαγιά," Thanos ended her sentence confidently. "Grandmother."
Dian bowed again in respect with his hands joined.

She smiled at him, but talked to Thanos: "So finally, you are not alone."
Thanos looked into her eyes like he would get the rest of the meaning that her note was impling but he realized that the answers are not up to her.

After the strange moment of a fleeting prophecy passed, Thanos continued now with a boyish smile: "I have something for you...."
"I said no presents...!" objected Γιαγιά.
"No, no, it is not a present! Just a delight I wish you to enjoy..." he took out of his bag a bottle of an exclusive brand of koum quat liqueur. One of his friends runs a distillery for more than 5 years now obtaining the best critiques.

"Ah, when it is so, than you two have to make company to me," she smiled mischievously.

Dian was already familiar with the signature fruits of Corfu, the cute small oranges of the strange name koum quat, that were unique in the whole Mediterranean area, not to mention Europe. And one could not wonder - they were brought here from China in the middle of the 19th century and the Corfu island was the only place where they started to cultivate them.
Dian already saw the souvenir shops full of intensively orange liquors of the fruit, marmalades, candied koum quat as well as its flavor listed on many other sweets or drinks.

Meanwhile Thanos already poured full three liqueur-glasses: "This is the true thing. No artificial orange color added," and handed one to Γιαγιά and one to Dian.

Quarter of an hour later, Dian wished he would have been brave enough to refuse the second glass of the liqueur. He was feeling the heat in his cheeks but hoped the amount of water he drank will help to relieve the upcoming dizziness. Still, they managed to carry the almost boiling pot full of Γιαγιά's famous φασολάδα down to the village. Meanwhile, the sun became a yesterday's memory and Γιαγιά had to light up the uneven path through the grove, back to the first illuminated houses, for them.