Chapter 3

When you make new friends

In a brand new town

The local airport of Corfu's main town, named after the famous Corfiot native Ioannis Kapodistrias, was surprisingly small despite its international status. But in Greece, almost every touristic island or region had its airport, at least one for domestic flights. The net was well built to ensure smooth ebb and flow of the millions of tourists each year. The tourism made up for lion's share of the country's GDP. So, there is no surprise that the covid pandemic with its travel-restriction hit the people in Greece very hard. After the long and painful crisis of previous years that brought the statal finances on the edge of a bankruptcy, this was another shock. However, now, here on the airport, there weren't any signs of decline. Indeed, even though the season was still not officially open, the plane arrived full with many obviously non-local passengers. Hopefully, the tourism and therefore the economy was finally on the tracks of recovery.

Dian picked up his checked suitcase and sit down in one of the airport's cafes for a cappuccino. He must find an accommodation. Lucky enough to arrive in low season, he could grab a free apartment near the historic centre for the next 7 nights using the Airbnb website. Then he will have to find something else or buy a flight ticket to his next destination...somewhere.

The booked apartment was in fact a whole flat in one of local's houses, easily accessible by the airport bus. Actually, how he found out, one could almost go by feet. Compared to European and Asian metropoles where you have to travel a minimum of one hour to reach the city from the terminal, this was almost an experience that one would pay for.

Once he put down his luggage in the corridor and looked around, he felt an unexpected warm feeling. The rooms with their old-fashioned furniture, shelves with Greek books and lace decorations laying here and there were giving the proof that this is, or at least was, a home for somebody. No sterile white room with anonymous pictures imported from eastern factories like all the hotels have. This place was welcoming.

The kind chatty host left him with tons of advices about the nearest attractions, prettiest beaches and towns, near-by restaurants, important websites, information about the bus terminal, city buses, historical centre and much more. Fortunately, Dian has a good memory.

At first, he considered to explore the town itself. The historical centre was listed on UNESCO world heritage list and was promising a great day out visiting two Venetian fortresses, local market, several orthodox churches, museums, local cuisine and confectioneries and and and... "Maybe too much for today", he concluded quickly.

There was another place that drew immediately Dian's attention when he googled out information about the island. A beautiful calm beach with crystal clear water embraced from both sides by cliffs with green vegetation on top. The area near the beach was mentioned as the second most beautiful right after the island's capital. Just how was its name again...?
"Pa-le-o-ka-stri-tsa", the host tried to teach Dian the pronunciation of the town's name before she left. Then she simply circled the name on the printed buses' timetable that she prepared for her guests. So, the bus runs every half an hour and the trip takes only 50minutes?

He could be there before midday.

Travelling this silver-green island was so calming that Dian was seriously considering to take one local bus line after another just to enjoy the hypnotizing vibration of the notoriously known Corfiot "Green" bus combined with the tranquil pictures outside. Packed fully with tourists, the vehicle made its daily routine like hundred or thousand times before, occasionally stopping here and there on unmarked bus stops that only the driver and the locals knew were there.

Leaving the crowds in its final stop in Paleokastritsa, the driver was on its way back with empty bus half an hour later. His recent passengers, blinded by the Greek midday sunlight, were blinking around till they realized that they are practically standing on "that" beach - the most photogenic beach of the island. Well, if one could see it behind the dozens of visitors that all were trying to catch the best shot. In any case, the place was by no doubt magical and swimming in the lagoon would be even better if the water wasn't still so cold.