Chapter 4

When you meet the one

You've been waiting for...

There is no way Dian would find this magical place by himself even though he was strolling the streets of Kerkyra already for two days.
Maybe the entrance portal to this dimension opens only for locals and the tourists who are passing by see just another shady side street that is not worth their precious time.
But if they by chance hear some music or smell the scent of the delicious cuisine, they might be drawn to surpass the narrow bending passage. Only then one would be shown a place that not even the internet knows...

The little marble-paved square looked like someone's private yard, with white and red flowers climbing the walls of the boarding Venetian houses, grapevine wrapping the wooden pergola over guests' heads. The few historic-like lamps of the public illumination caused more shadows than they provided light, however the scented candles on each table and the little lanterns hanged here and there on the trees and pergolas illuminated the famous taverna with a soft yellow light.
In the middle of this universum, circuited by restaurant's tables, a centuries old decorative Venetian well reminded silently of who built this part of the town.

Dian got immediately hypnotized by the surreal ambience... So much that he forgot to feel inappropriate as a tourist sitting in this restaurant together with all the locals enjoying their private evening. It did not even crossed his mind to make any pictures, he simply breath in the transcendence of the perfect atmosphere.

On the contrary, Thanos was feeling very comfortable in this place that he has known well for years, sparkling nice memories about the past times in his mind. However, he never met someone he would like to show its secret charm.

Until he knew the one who would appreciate the serene atmosphere and the genuine moment. Someone who will not consider his favourite place a scenery for another meaningless selfie.
Until now.

Just by looking on the motionless boy, Thanos could tell he has chosen rightly. A light smile appeared on his lips.
What a confusing reaction. What's more, what an unexplainable behaviour he was showing in the last days. But it was worth it.
He was enjoying the deserved intoxicating feeling of relief melting with excitement.

He glanced at his still companion whose soul was floating somewhere, enchanted by the spirit of this place. The candle reflected its dancing flicker in his silken black hair that Thanos remembered moving in the sea breeze while the boy was sipping his cappuccino on the terrace in Paleokastritsa. Soft features of his boyish face and the perfect complection made it hard to guess his exact age. His eyes, now looking somewhere behind the horizont of the present times, seemed completely black in this twilight. But Thanos knew one could see they are actually brown when the sunrays lit from a certain angle.
Thanos was wondering how many other details he could recall from that day...?

The waitress' silent greeting dragged them both out of their thoughts. She put their drinks on the table. Right behind her, a grey-haired man in white shirt appeared holding a tray with three little crystal glasses of local raki.
Thanos smiled widely and stood up to greet with the older man. He introduced him to Dian as the owner of the taverna and an old friend of his family. Though Dian does not drink strong alcohol, he could not refuse this welcome drink offered by such an important person.

Watching the men for several minutes, Dian could tell there is a joyful and hearty conversation going on even though he did not speak a word Greek. Before the charismatic chatty man left, he put his hand on Thanos' shoulder and switched from Greek to English for his last sentences: "Be brave in your life. Do not do a mistake like I did."

Thanos sit down and looked at the pale slim boy he thought he will not meet ever again.
Dian was sipping the ice tea trying secretly to to cool down his burnt taste buds.