Chapter 8 (Edited)

Chapter 8

Kayce's POV

After leaving the ranch, I had a long time to worry about what could be wrong with my son. Monica wouldn't tell me anything other than he needs me right now, so here I am speeding my way down to the Broken Rock Reservation. I have a pit in my stomach, I need to know my son is okay, I've got to get Jamie on those custody papers as soon as possible. After about an hour, I pull up at Monica's house and park quickly. Monica's sitting on the front steps waiting for my arrival. "What happened?" I ask with urgency clear in my voice. "Nothing he's fine," Monica says with a shrug. "What do you mean nothing? You said he needed me, it was an emergency." I say exasperated. "I knew it would be the easiest and quickest way to get you here," Monica said softly. "What for?" I shout, feeling my anger rise. "I miss you, Kayce," Monica says, taking a step towards me immediately, making me step backward. "No, that's over you chose that when you started fucking your coworkers," I say angrily, shaking my head. "I don't love them, Kayce. I love you." She admits to me but I just shake my head. "I think I'm just gonna take Tate with me for a while so you can figure out where your head is," I say, stepping around her and walking inside. "Tate?" I holler from the door. "Daddy!" Tate yells as he runs from his bedroom into the living room. "Hey buddy, go grab some clothes you're coming with Daddy," I say smiling at him. "Okay!" Tate says before running back into his room, grabbing his suitcase, and filling it up with clothes and his favorite dinosaur book. "I'm ready!" He says lugging the bag behind him. "Got your boots?" I ask with a smirk. "Yep!" He says grabbing them from beside the shoe rack by the door. "Alright then let's go," I say, opening the front door and stepping out, going around Monica. "Say bye to your mom," I say to Tate before getting into my truck. "Bye, Mama," Tate says, hugging her. "Bye, baby, I Love You," Monica says, hugging Tate back. "Love you too," Tate says before running over and getting into the truck with his suitcase in tow. Once he was safe and secure in the car I pulled out of Monica's driveway and started the drive home. "Are we going to Grandpa's?" Tate asks me curiously. "Yeah buddy, we're going' to the ranch," I chuckle at his excitement. "Daddy doesn't live at Grandpa's lodge, I live in a cabin in the back of the ranch, with Caroline, Teeter, and some other cowboys," I explained to Tate. "Who's Caroline and Teeter?" Tate asks curiously. "Do you remember the story Grandpa told you about him and Grandma?" I ask, glancing over at him while I drive. "I think so," Tate shrugs. "The story of him and grandma being soulmates, that their souls were made for each other, and how we're lucky to find our soulmates and if we find them to cherish them forever? Remember?" I explained as best as I could for a 6-year-old to understand. "Yeah, our soulmate is the one God designed us to be with, forever," Tate says smiling at me. "Exactly, well, Caroline and Teeter are my soulmates," I say looking over at him. "Really! I have 3 moms now?! That's so cool!" Tate says excitedly. I laugh and remember I promised I would call Caroline so I pulled my phone out quickly and called Caroline.

"Hello?" Caroline's voice rang out over the speakers in the truck

"Hey baby it's me, I was calling to let you know everything with Tate is perfect, I'll explain that later tonight privately. But we're on our way back to the ranch now, probably 30 minutes away give or take," I say smiling over at Tate. "Wait, who's this we?" Caroline asks curiously. I laughed knowing her mind was going straight into defense mode, "Hey Caroline!" Tate says excitedly. "That's my son, Tate, he's super excited to meet you and Teeter," I say, chuckling at his enthusiasm. "Hey, Buddy! I can't wait to meet you either!" Caroline gushes with excitement. "I don't wanna keep you too long sweetie I was just trying to ease your mind a little bit," I say smiling even though I know she can't see me. "I appreciate that sweetie, everyone is in our living room watching a new show they found on Hulu or something or another, I think it's kinda cool it's a music trivia kinda thing," Caroline says giggling. "Oh, I bet it's Beat Shazam!" I laugh. "It is! It just showed the name across the screen!" Caroline laughs at me, "I don't know how I knew that," I chuckle as Tate shakes his head laughing at me. "Dad just really loves music," Tate says smirking, "That's true," I agreed. "Alright baby, We'll be there soon, I love you," I say to Caroline. "I love you too baby, yall please be careful out there, okay?" Caroline says sweetly. "We will Darlin, see you soon," I say before hanging up the phone. "She sounds super nice, I like her already," Tate says, smiling up at me. "Oh she is buddy, she's the kindest person I've ever met," I say genuinely. "Wow!" Tate says surprised. "What's Teeter like?" Tate asks me, turning a little in his seat to face me. "Oh, she's great buddy, she's a ranch hand on the ranch, she is the toughest cowboy we've got, and she's super sweet to kids," I say smiling at him. "Is Caroline a Cowboy too?" Tate asked me. "No, she's our vet, when the animals get sick or need their shots, or when animals are giving birth she's their doctor," I explained to him. "Wow! It keeps getting better," Tate exclaims. I laugh and ruffle his hair. "I know, and she's got a puppy and a horse!" I say to him smiling. "A puppy! Can I play with it?" Tate asks excitedly. "Well the puppy is really little so it might not be a whole lot of fun but I don't see why not I'm sure Minnie would love the attention," I say smiling at his innocence. Tate just smiled and laid his head against the doorframe and gazed out the window for the rest of the ride.