Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Kayce's POV

"Family of Bethany Dutton?" Says a doctor as he enters the room from the burn unit. "That's us," I say, standing from my spot in the waiting room, nudging Rip's arm softly, resulting in him standing with me. "How is she?" Rip asked the doctor, adjusting his hat. "She's alive. She's been asking for Caroline?" The doctor says, confusion obvious on his face. "That's my fiance," Rip answered simply. The doctor nodded before saying, "I just want you to be prepared. She got burned up pretty badly on her back. She got lucky no burns were on her face or torso. Just her back and a bunch of cuts, scrapes, and bruises." She's alive. She's okay, thank you, God. I know she's a bitch, but she's my sister and you don't fuck with my family. "Can we see her?" I finally spoke up and said. "Of course, follow me," the doctor said before swiping his keycard on the sensor and opening the doors before leading us down the hallway. "She should be able to leave today. Given her prognosis, she's completely fine. Just make sure to keep the wounds clean and keep it wrapped up for the next few days," the doctor informed us, reading off Beth's chart. "I'll go get the discharge papers going. Excuse me," he said before walking away. I shrugged and walked in to see my sister lying in the bed, staring off into space. "Beth..." I called out softly as Rip softly cleared his throat from beside me. "Kayce, you're okay..." Beth croaked, her throat extremely dry. I grab a chair and pull it over to an unoccupied side of her bed. "I'm okay, you're okay," I say, taking her hand in mine comfortingly. "Can we get her some water, huh? She's croaking, she's so thirsty, Jesus Christ," Rip barks out at the nurses. "Just standing around, gettin' paid to take care of people, but here they are holding that chair to the floor," Rip grunts, walking back into the room and taking a seat on the opposite side of the bed. "How's Caroline? Are they okay?" Beth whispered weakly. "They're fine. Caroline made me promise to not leave your side so thankfully you're coming home tonight," Rip says gently, taking her hands in his. I looked up at him and smiled. He's such a great dude, and he doesn't even realize it. "Home?" Beth asked weakly. "Yeah, you can sleep in my bed tonight. You need to be around someone with medical knowledge, ya know?" Rip offered with a smile. "Thank you, both of you," Beth said gratefully to us. "You're welcome, darlin," Rip says, softly kissing her head. "It's what we do. You're my sister," I said, stroking her cheek. Finally, a nurse rushed into the room with a pitcher of water and a large ice bucket of ice. "I'm sorry that it's taken so long for the water. The nurses out there just sit around out there and bark orders out to me all day," the young nurse says, her face beet red from exhaustion. "I saw that. You're fine, miss. Thank you," Rip says, taking the ice and water from her, and making Beth a drink. "Of course, sir," the nurse said, her head low as she quickly made her exit. "Drink this," Rip instructed, holding the cup down level enough for her to sip the straw. "Mmm... thank you," Beth said gratefully, swallowing the water. "Just relax, til the doctors release us. Kayce, you probably oughta call Care," Rip said, nodding softly. I nodded, grabbed my phone out of my pocket, and called Caroline. Ring. Ring. Ring. 'Hey, It's Care! Sorry, you missed me! Please shoot me a text! Bye!' she's not answering, shit what time is it? 9:43 pm. "She isn't answering..." I mumble. Rip immediately pulls out his phone, calling Ryan. "Where's Caroline?" I hear Rip ask urgently into the phone. Rip physically relaxes, and he releases a breath he had been holding. "Thank fuck, okay," Rip said before ending the call. "She's cuddled up with Teeter right now. They're half asleep watching some movie. She was so worried tonight that she only wanted Teeter." Rip told me, wearily. "We need to get home. She's never gonna sleep peacefully 'til we're home," I say, standing from my chair at the exact time the doctor was coming in, to discharge Beth enters the room. "You're all set to leave. Your clothes are in that closet there," the doctor says before placing her discharge papers on the bedside table and walking out of the room. "What the hell are you supposed to do with this?" Rip asked, holding up Beth's shredded and destroyed shirt and pants. Beth stood up from the bed and sighed, walking over to where Rip stood. "I may be able to improvise with the pants but there's nothing I can do about that shirt." Beth said, taking the pants from Rip. "Here, take my shirt, I'll be fine," I say, removing my t-shirt and handing it to Beth. "Thank you, little brother," Beth whispered with a smile before walking into the bathroom to change. A couple of minutes later, Beth came out of the bathroom and threw away her hospital gown. "Let's get out of here," I say, opening her room door for them.