Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Teeter's POV

As I ride alongside Caroline and Beth, the sun casting a warm glow over the rolling hills, I feel a sense of belonging that I've never known before. They've become my family, my purpose, along with the strapping cowboys we call ours. I glance over at Caroline, admiring everything about her; her hair blowing in the wind, her eyes shining with pride as she protectively held her belly, and her absolute love and dedication to us. And Beth, with her bright smile and infectious laughter that she refuses to show to anybody outside of the ranch. My heart swells with love and gratitude. They've taken me in, accepted me for who I am, and shown me what family truly means. I'd do anything to keep them safe, to make them proud. Looking around, love surrounds us. Ryan and Colby are always flanking us, ensuring no surprises appear from behind us. Lee, Jimmy, Rip, and Kayce are all on all sides of us. This has been our routine lately, cleaning up the mess from the attack. Thankfully, no intense damage to our home or the lodge. We only had some minor damage to the barn, and miraculously, no animals were hurt. As we continue to ride, the rhythmic thud of hooves on earth and the creaking of saddle leather create a soothing melody. I feel at peace, surrounded by these people who've become my world. I glance over at Caroline, who's watching me with a warm smile. She knows how much this means to me — to have found a family that accepts me for who I am. Caroline lovingly took my hand and held it as we continued to ride together. We approached a stream, and the horses slowed to a stop, allowing us to take in the serene atmosphere. Ryan dismounts, his eyes scanning the surroundings, ever vigilant. The others follow suit, and we form a circle, our horses grazing peacefully beside us. "Hey babe, this pasture looks perfect to keep the cattle hold up, don't ya think?" I ask with a smile. Caroline's eyes light up as she surveys the pasture. "For sure, Teeter! This is ideal. After we fix the fencing, we can temporarily move the cattle here while we repair the barn." She turns to Ryan. "What do you think? Can we get the fencing sorted today?" Ryan nods, his expression thoughtful. "Yeah, we can get it done. Walker, Jimmy, can you guys start on the fencing while we get the cattle moved?" The others nod, and we quickly get to work. "Make sure you take it easy," Ryan says to Caroline, who nods and playfully rolls her eyes. I help Caroline and Beth guide the cattle towards the pasture, feeling a sense of accomplishment as we watch them graze peacefully. As we work, I notice Kayce watching me with a warm smile. He's been wonderful to me, teaching me new skills and offering kind words of encouragement. I feel grateful for his presence in my life, always showing his love to me, and never letting me feel left out or unwanted. Once the fencing is complete, we take a break, sitting together under a shady tree. Caroline passes out sandwiches and water, and we eat in comfortable silence, enjoying each other's company. As we sit together, I feel a sense of contentment wash over me. This is what family is all about - supporting each other, working together, and loving unconditionally. I glance over at Kayce, who's watching me with a gentle smile, and I immediately return one to him. Caroline notices my gaze and follows it to Kayce. She smiles knowingly and reaches out to squeeze my hand. I feel my heart swell with emotion, and I look away, trying to hide my tears. But Beth notices and wraps her arms around me in a tight hug. "We all love you, Teeter!" she exclaims, her voice full of enthusiasm. The others join in, surrounding me with hugs and words of affection. In this moment, I know I've found my true home— with this family, in this beautiful place, surrounded by love and acceptance.

***

Kayce's POV

As I watch Teeter smile, surrounded by our family, my heart swells with pride and love. I've grown attached to this young woman, and I'm grateful to see her finding her place among us.