1: 𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚖

♪𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝚋𝚢 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚋𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚘𝚋𝚎e♪

QUEENIE'S POV

I sat there in my moms theatre just waiting for something to happen, "Queenie, you can go do something if you want" Mom says sweetly, "Really?" I ask, "Yes, i tell you that everyday" Mom laughs, I smile and get up and brush dust off my skirt, I grab my bag and I open the door leading out into the streets of New York, voices shouting everywhere, I began to walk to the Racetrack, I only go there to see the horses and a Newsie, I walk past some people and some working boys, I felt someone crash into me, I look beside me and see Ellie, she was wearing what she usually wore, a hat, a pink dress, and it featured her basket, "Are you going to the racetrack again?" she asked, "You know i am." I smiled, "You should fall for someone other than a Newsie, fall for one of the Delancey brothers" Ellie says, "Ew, no, weren't you just with a newsie last night?" I ask, "Thats different, he was cute" She laughed, "This one is cute too" We then walked past a group of newsies who took off their hats and watched us walk by, the main newsie i noticed was my friend, Jack Kelly, I smile and look at Ellie, "Was that curly haired boy the newsie you were with last night?" I say, she lightly hit me on the shoulder and smiled while looking down, "Pretty sure hes friends with the one that you like" Ellie says, "Anyway, i have to buy apples, make sure you actually talk to him Queenie, you can't just look at him without sayin' anything!" "Fine fine, But ill talk to him when he talks to me first." I laugh, "Good, tell me what happens later back at the apartments, bye now" Ellie walks away, I began walking faster, Before i got to the racetrack I look in the window of a shop, I start to fix my curly hair in the reflection, once I've decided i looked fine i head to the track, I sit on the stands as i wait for my favorite newsie to come, I just start looking at the horses, im not there to bet or anything i just like the horses, I start to fiddle with the ends of my hair just thinking about the possibilitys of what would happen what what should i do, I started to zone out, "What if i stutter? What if i just-" I was snapped out of my haze with a voice coming from beside me, " 'cuse me miss, would you buy me last pape?" He asks, I look at him and it was him, the newsie I've been crushing on for months, he had the cutest accent, EVER, he had black hair and the sweetest eyes, "Uhm, yeah, how much?" I mutter out, "A nickel" He replys, I grab a nickel out of my bag and handed it to him, he then put the nickel in his pocket and handed me the pape, you'd never guess what happened after, he sat next to me, "So, uh, whats a lady like you doing by the track?" He asked, "I just like seeing the horses" I replied, "You aint here to bet?" He says as he looks at me, "Nah, but I'm guessing your here to bet?" I smile, "Yeah, i made a bet this mornin'." He replied looking at the track and taking a puff of cigarette, "Which one you betting on?" I ask, he points at a black and white horse, "Ah, that one is usually fast." I mutter, He looked at me and put out his hand, "Im Racetrack." He says, I grab his hand and shook it, "Queenie Larkin." I reply, I let go of his hand, "Larkin? Like, Medda Larkin?" He asks, "Yeah, Im her daughter, well, not technically, but yeah im her daughter." I reply, "So, do you work?" He asks, "Yeah, i sometimes work as a backup dancer but i usually paint the props" I explain, He was about to say something else but he got cut off by the race starting, As i watched the race i noticed that the horse Racetrack bet on was loosing.

♪𝙷𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚢 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚃𝚎𝚎𝚗𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜♪

At this point the race was almost over and the horse he bet on was still loosing, I looked at him and it was obvious he was getting somewhat mad, then the race ended, the horse he bet on lost, I slowly looked at him and he lit another cigarette with a match, he was taking this well, "Well, better luck next time Racetrack." I said as i got up, "Queenie, do you want me to walk you home?" Racetrack asked while putting his cigarette out, I look at him, slightly blushing, i think its noticeable, "If you want to, my moms doin a show anyway" I say while picking up my dress and stepping down from the stands, He gets up and steps down from the stands, I smile slightly and start to walk with him, "Where are you from?" Racetrack asked me, "Im from Queens" I reply, "So thats why your name is Queenie" Racetrack smiled, "Yup" I reply, I look down at the floor as we continued to walk to the building i live in, I look at him and i notice that he has freckles, I almost didnt realize that we're at my apartment building, "We're here, Thank you Racetrack for walkin me and everything" I say while smiling, "No problem, see ya Queenie" He replies, he smiles and waves goodbye, I wave back and he walks away, I quickly walk inside and run up the stairs, I see Ellie leaning on the wall smoking, "Ellie! You'd never guess what happened." I say, it was obvious that i was freaking out, "Shit! Hold on!" She replies while smiling, she puts it her cigarette on her worn down shoes and runs inside her apartment, She comes back out with her sisters, Erica, Sofia, and Rosemary, who were Triplets, Erica was a blond, Sofia was a brunette, and Rosemary was a ginger, "Go on, tell us!" Rosemary says with her heavy New York accent, "Okay, so, as all four of you know, i go down to the racetrack every day to see a Newsie, even if he's there or not, well, today must've been my lucky day because guess what?" I say, "What?" They all say in sync, "I bought a pape from him, and he sat down next to me, we talked a for little bit and his name is Racetrack, He had black hair, the sweetest eyes, and the cutest new york accent ever, then guess what?" I explain, "What?" Ellie says, "He walked me back to here" I say proudly, They all squeal and Ellie hugs me, "Its so obvious that he probably likes you!" Erica says, "Well he seemed so cool" I said while Ellie pulls away, "I think im in love." I coo, "I hope you guys get together, But you know the Newsie i was with last night?" Ellie says, "Yeah?" I reply, "Well, we might have a little something going on" Ellie smiled, "Then we'll both be with newsies" I smile, "Exactly, hes so sweet too" Ellie says, then she goes on and on about how hes so dreamy and any other stuff she was talking about, "Girls! Get inside now!" I hear their mother say, "Bye Queenie, make sure you tell him your real name after you guys get close." Sofia says as she walks in, then the other three follow behind her, I just take the pape out of my bag and look at it, "Hm, Baby born with two heads, probably from Brooklyn" I mutter, I kept reading as i walked inside of my apartment.

𝚃𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 : 1310