6: 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚔𝚎, 𝙸𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚛𝚞𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚍

♪T𝚑𝚎 M𝚘𝚘𝚗 W𝚒𝚕𝚕 S𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚢 T𝚑𝚎 C𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚎 W𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜♪

QUEENIES POV

COURT

I stood there infront of the judge with the other Manhattan newsies, including Spot, Since i was apart of the rally i had to be there i guess, I stood by a bruised up Racetrack, i had to be serious right now, ill deal with his bruises later. "All rise, all rise, court is now in session. Judge E.A. Monahan presiding." someone says, "Are any of you represented by counsel?" The judge asked, We all looked at eachother in confusion, "No. Good, good. That'll move things along considerably." "Your honor, i object" Spot spoke, The judge looked at him, "On what grounds?" He asked, "On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor." Spot replied confidently, Racetrack hid his face behind spots back and i covered my mouth to stop laughing, "I fine each of you five dollars or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge." The judge said, i look at him in disbelief? Five dollars? We dont have no five dollars? "Whoa, Whoa, hey, hey, we aint got five bucks, we don't even got five cents" Racetrack says, "Hey, Your honor, how about i roll you for it? Double or nothing." Racetrack says, I look at him, "Race, nows not the time to be betting." I hissed, "all right, move along, move along." He said, I wiped away some remaining tears and started to walk away with the other newsies, I look at the gate and saw Denton trying to come in, "Your Honor, I'll pay the fines, all of them." Denton said as he squeezed through the gate and followed by Davey, "Hey fellas, you all right?" Davey asked, "Where's Jack?" "Look, we gotta meet at the restaurant, everybody, we have to talk." Denton says, "Pay the clark, move along" the judge spoke, then guess who walked in, Jackie boy, in handcuffs, i told him he couldn't get caught, "Hey fellas." Jack greeted, "Hey, Cowboy, nice shiner." Racetrack joked, "Pay the clark, move it along." the Judge repeated, we began to walk away, "Race, what about Jack?" I ask, "Jacks fine." Racetrack replies, and with that we walked out, I wonder what Denton has to say.

TIBBYS

I sat there facing racetrack examining his face, "You look fine, it healed quite a bit, we'll go my house after this, My moms probably worried on how your doing." I said, He just nodded and I looked away from him, I saw Davey walk in, everyone greeted him, i stood up quick and walked to him, "What happened to Jack?" I ask, "He got sent back to the refuge." Davey replied, Everyone started to talk, "Quiet." I yell, "Until what age?" I said while crossing my arms, "21, can you believe it?" Davey replied, "Are you serious? We gotta do something about that." I said, "I know, we'll think of something." Davey patted my shoulder then started to read a newspaper, I went and sat down by Racetrack, I began to bite my nails, its a unhealthy habit i know, Racetrack moved my hand away from my mouth, then Denton walked in, mostly everyone greeted him, Mush shaked his hand and said thank you, "Why didn't The Sun print the story?" Davey asked, Denton looked at us then back at Davey, "Because it never happened." Denton replied, "What?" I say, "What do you mean, it never happened? You were there" Racetrack argued, "Hey, if its not in the papers, it never happened. The owners decreed that it not be in the papers, therefore..." Denton replied, "Anyway, i came to tell you fellas goodbye. I- uh." "What happened? Did you get fired or somethin?" Davey stammered, "No, i got reassigned back to my old job as The Suns ace war correspondent, they want me to leave right away, the owner thinks that i should only cover the really important stories, so.." Denton replied, Racetrack dropped his cigar in disbelief, I gripped his hand that was under the table, "Yep, well, wish me luck, fellas. At least half of what i wish for you" Denton grabbed Daveys shoulder and made him look at him, "they don't always fire you, david. I would be blackballed from every paper in the country, hey, im a newspaperman, i have to have a paper to write for." Denton said, Davey just looked at him, disappointment and hurt on his face, Denton took out a paper, "This is the story i wrote about the rally, and... I want you to read it at least." Denton said, He put it in Daveys hand, he then went and paid the bill, he looked back at davey and davey crumpled it up, Denton then walked out, Davey then turned and faced us, "We get Jack out of the Refuge tonight, and from now on, we trust no one but the newsies, and Queenie." Davey added, (AND BUMBLEBEE!) everyone agreed and they got up, "Come on! Get the lead out your pants." Racetrack yelled, I got up and we all walked out of Tibbys.

SAVING JACK

We snuck inside the yard of the refuge, We went in behind a carriage, We then stood seeing a singular window, "Thats where we saw crutchy." Davey whispered as he pointed at the window, we then hear a door open and we quickly hide, Jack walks out of the door, "Its Jack, its Jack" Les said as he stood up, "Shh, Shh, Shh!" Davey shushed as he pulled Les down, Jack got inside of a carriage, "Where they taking him Dave?" Mush asked, "Theres one way to find out." Davey replied as he stood up, "I'll meet you guys at the square, Racetrack, Queenie, watch him." Davey said as he gave Les to us, He then ran after the carriage, "Come on, lets go." I whisper, then we quickly walked out of the yard and started to walk to the Square.

SQUARE

We waited for a few hours, I was just sitting there playing with my hair patiently waiting for Davey, "I really need to get going, Momma will get worried." I mutter, "Wait there he is!" blink said as he pointed at Davey coming down the street, We all ran to him and started to ask questions, "Wheres Jack?" I ask, "Forget it, come on Les." Davey replied, He grabbed Les's shoulder and started to walk away, We all looked at eachother, "What was that.." I ask, Mush shrugged, "Come on Queenie, ill walk you home." Racetrack said, The boys all said 'oooooo' "Shut up" Racetrack says, "Hey, Get some Racetrack!" Blink laughed, Racetrack just started to lead me away, "You know, My friend wants to meet you." I say, "Is it that blonde haired girl that's always with Mush?" Racetrack asked, "Yeah, shes been on me for days saying that she wants to meet you." I laughed, "I'll come in for a minute, ill say Hi, and ill let you fix up my bruises" Racetrack replies, We got here quickly that time, We then walked in and walked up the stairs, Ellie was by a window smoking, "Ellie, look who i brought" I said, She looked at us and she quickly put out her cigarette and walked over to us, "Hi, You must be Racetrack, Im Ellie, Queenie here has told me all about you!" Ellie said, "Has she?" Racetrack replies while looking at me, "Okayyy, you met him its time to go inside.." I said while opening my door and grabbing racetrack and pulling him in, "Sit down in my room ill be there in a minute" I say while getting a towel, "Okay" He then walked into my room, I went to the sink and turned on the cold water, i turned it off and walked to my room, Racetrack was sitting on my bed looking around, I pull a chair up and it in front of him, I move his face to the side and started to dab the towel on the bruises, "Hows your stomach." I ask, "It feels fine" Racetrack replies, "Good." I stop dabbing the towel on his face, he looks at me, why does he have to be so pretty? Then i kiss him, and he kisses me back, i put my hands on both sides of his head as we continued to kiss, I pulled away, "Moms in the other room, I think we should continue this tomorrow, we have to protest in the morning" I mutter, "Okay.." Racetrack replied. I move my hands and Racetrack exited from my Window which connects to the fire escape.

𝚃𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 : 1432