5: 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝.

♪𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚆𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚜 𝚋𝚢 𝙳𝚎𝚏𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚜♪

QUEENIES POV

I sat there in Tibbys talking to Davey, I literally just learned his name today, "So how long have you known Jack?" Davey asks, "I dont know, I don't know the exact years but id say a few years." I reply, I hear the door open and I look at the door and saw Denton, holding a pape, Everyone greets him and he walks to jack, "Hey big time" Denton says has he puts the paper infront of him, "Hey, whatcha got there, jack?" Blink asks, I get up and look at the pape, "Wheres my picture?" Spot says, "Look at me! I look so pretty" I said, "Wheres me picture? Wheres me picture?" Spot asks right in Jacks ear, Jack shoos him away and just looks at the pape, "Hey, all them words there, they all about us?" Boots asks, "Look, jack, you look like a general!" Mush says as he puts his finger on Jacks picture, "Can you get your finger off my face?" Jack says as he moves Mush's finger, "Where does it say my name?" Spot asks, "Can you quit thinking about yourself?" Jack replies, obviously fed up, "Well, you got us on the front page." Davey says to Denton, "You got yourselves on the front page, i just gotta make sure you stay there." Denton replies, "So what?" Skittery says, "you get your picture in the papes? So, whats that get you? Huh?" I look at him, "Hey what are you talking about? Huh?" Mush says, "Oh shut up skittery, you've been an ass all day!" I say, Everyone agrees and me and skittery go back and fourth, "Hey, shut up you've been in a bad mood all day!" Jack says to Skittery, Skittery looks at Jack, "Im not in a bad mood." Skittery replies, "You've been glum and dumb!" Racetrack says, Skittery looks at him and Racetrack shoves his face, "whats the matter with you? You're in the papes, you're famous, you're famous, you get anything you want!" Racetrack says as he walked around the table, He slammed his hand on the table then pointed at Skittery, "And thats whats so great about new york!" Everyone agrees with him, I nod my head in agreement, "A pair of new shoes with matching laces..." Mush says, "A permanent box at Sheepshead Races" "A porcelain tub with boiling water.." God it's another song.

AFTER KING OF NEW YORK

"So let's have some ideas." Jack spoke, "Well, we gotta show people where we stand." Davey says, "Yeah, so we gotta stay in the papes." "My papers the only one printing any strike news so far." Denton says, "So we should do something thats so big, the other papers are gonna feel stupid if they try and ignore us." Jack suggests, "Right" Davey agrees, since Davey agreed we all agreed, "Like a rally, A newsie rally with all the kids from all over New York, We'll make the biggest, loudest, noisiest blowout this towns ever seen." "We'll send a message to the big boys." Everyone just talks for a second, "Ill give them a message." I hear racetrack say, "Yeah, theres a lot of us and we aint going away. We'll fight until damn doomsday if it means we get a fair shake." Jack says, everyone agrees with him, "Ill fight to that" Spot spoke, I then see the drinks arrive and everyone grabs one, "Hey, you guys, to our man Denton." Davey said as he rose the glass, We all rose the glass, "To our man Denton!" We all said, I then took a drink, "Lets have the rally at my moms theatre" I suggested, "Yeah" Jack said, "Your moms theatre? Is your mom Medda Larkin?" Spot asked, "Yup" I said, Spot looked away and took a drink.

NEWSIES LODGE

"No, you paint here." I say to a younger newsie, I was currently helping the newsies get prepared for the Rally, I continued to help the younger newsies, "Excuse-- excuse me, can i help you?" The owner of the Lodge said to someone, I look behind me and it was him, Snyder, the Warden of the refuge, "You have a boy who calls himself Jack Kelly? I wish to see him." Snyder says, I nudge Racetrack and he looked at Snyder and then he nudged Blink who looked at Snyder, all three of us stood up and just looked at him, "Jack Kelly? Jack-- never heard of him. Never heard of him" The owner said, He then looked towards our direction, "Any of you boys ever heard of Jack Kelly?" He asks, "Thats an unusual name for these parts." a kid with glasses said, "Oh, you mean Jack Kelly" Racetrack says, "Yeah, he was here, but he put an egg in his shoe and, beat it." We all laugh but stopped immediately, "I have reason to believe that he is an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous." Snyder says, I then see Jack behind him, "Oh, is he dangerous?" The owner asked, Jack put his hand on his chest acting he was hurt by being called dangerous, "I better look in my files, Come this way, please" The owner said as Snyder started to follow him, Jack ran out the door but before Snyder could see him everyone covered the door, "Give to the newsie strike fund, mister?" Racetrack asks, Snyder took something out of his front pocket and gave it to him, Jacks gonna be the death of me.

RALLY

I sat in front of the stage with racetrack and all the newsies from all around cheering, Jack was up on the stage with Spot, and Davey, Jack raised his arms up in a up and down motion, telling everyone to quiet down, everyone quieted down a bit, "Carrying the banner!" Jack shouts, everyone cheered, "So! We've come a long way, but we aint there yet and maybe it's only gonna get tougher from now on, but thats fine, we'll just get tougher with it" Jack yelled so everyone can hear, "But also.. also we gotta get smart and start listening to my pal, david. Who says, 'Stop soaking the scabs.' " Jack said as he put his arm around Daveys shoulder, Everyone disagreed with that, I shook my head 'No' cause thats what they do, they soak em, "What are we supposed to do with the bums, kiss em?" Racetrack says, I laugh and look at him then back at the other three, "Hey, look, any scab i see, i soak em, period." Spot said, I clapped and so did some others, "No, no, no, thats what they want us to do, if we get violent, its just playing into their hands." Davey replied, "Hey, look, they're gonna be playing with my hands, all right? Because it aint what they say, its what we say, and nobody aint gonna listen to us unless we make em." Spot said as he got in Daveys face, Everyone started to argue with eachother, "You got no brains, we're startin to fight each other, its just what the big shots wanna see, that we're street trash, street rats with no brains, no respect for nothing including ourselves, So heres how it is, If we don't act together, we're nothing, if we don't stick together, we're nothing, and if we cant even trust eachother, then we're nothing." Jack explained, "Tell em Jack!" I hear Blink yell on the balcony, "So, whats it gonna be?" Jack asks everyone, Racetrack looks at me and I nod, "Listen to jack, we're with you jack." Racetrack says, "So, what do you say spot?" Jack says as he turns to Spot, Spot looks at the crowd then back at Jack, "I say, that what you say, is what i say." Spot said as he smiled, Jack and him spit into their palms and shake hands, then my mother, Medda came out from behind the curtain, Davey, Jack, and spot quickly moved out the way as my mother began to sing "High times hard times" I turn to Racetrack and pull his head down, "Im going to Jack!" I say in his ear, "Okay!" Racetrack shouts, I kiss his cheek quickly before pushing through the other boys to get to Jacks table, I go and sit down at a empty seat besides spot, My mother made her way down the stage and the boys down there went crazy, Mom grabbed her parasol and opened it up and put it on her shoulder, "Hello newsies! Whats new?" She yelled, Everyone went absolutely crazy, She continued to sing, I grabbed a drink and drunk it, I hummed to her singing, shes very beautiful and a great singer, no wonder everyone loves her, as she continued to sing she got down from the stage and danced with Racetrack and Blink, Jack got up a few seconds later and danced with her, I just watched them and smiled, im glad that they got this far and that they're having a good time, My mother went back on the stage and swung on the swing then jumped off but newsies catched her, then the song was finished, Everyone up there on the stage were having a good time, Davey nudges Spot and whispers something in his ear, Spot then nudged me, "Snyders here." Spot whispers, I look at him with concern, his eyes went from me to the stage then back at me, motioning to warn the others, I got up and so did Spot and Davey, I pulled up my skirt to make it easier for me to get there, I get up on the stage but it was already too late, the cops and some men started to raid the theater, I run to Racetrack and Medda, "Racetrack?" I say, "Its okay, come on" Racetrack replied, He then grabbed my shoulders and started to lead me and Mom away from the scene, once we were far enough he looks behind him then back at us, "Go somewhere safe its fine" Racetrack says, he grabbed meddas shoulders and said something to her and began to walk away while someone grabbed my arm and pulled me away, "No! No, no! Stay with me!" Mom yelled, I then see a grown man kick racetrack in the stomach and punched him, "No! No, for gods sake! Dont! He's just a child!" Mom yelled as she broke free from two mens grasp, "Cant you see that?! Why don't you pick on someone your own size?!" She yelled as she slapped the man and grabbed his shirt, the two men began to pull mom away and two men grabbed racetrack and dragged him away, "Racetrack!" Mom yells, We were then pulled behind the theater, I tried to go out but i was held back, "Racetrack!" I screamed, My mother hugged me and i hugged her back and cried into her shoulder.

Wowza, that was lengthy.

𝚃𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 : 1819