2: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚔𝚎

♪𝙻𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚋𝚢 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚊 𝙳𝚎𝚕 𝚁𝚎𝚢♪

QUEENIE'S POV

I woke up to knocking on my front door, I slowly get up, my apartment was silent, im assuming mom went to the theatre already, I get up and open my bedroom door, I walk to the door and open it to see Ellie, "Queenie! Did you hear what happened?" Ellie quickly asks, "No, as you can see, i just woke up Ellie, what happened?" I groggily say, "Mr Pulitzer raised the prices for papes!" Ellie says, "What?" I quickly say, "Yeah, and it wasn't for us, its for the Newsies." Ellie adds, "What the hell? Why would he do that??" I say, leaning on the door frame, "Probably for more money, its like he doesn't get enough already from how many newsies buy his papes." Ellie says, "Well, what are they gonna do, its not like they have that kinda money" I reply, "I dont know, but i know the square is gonna be filled with angry newsies" Ellie says, "Stay here, lets go see whats happening down there, pretty sure the circulation bell already went off, ill go get ready real quick" I say, "Fine" Ellie replied, I close the door and quickly go to my room, I pick out a green dress and changed into it, I put my hair up and put on my heels, I speed walk to the door and open it, Ellie moves out the way so i can close it, "Lets go" I quickly say, We speed walk down the stairs and open the door and walk outside, "Wheres the square again?" I ask, Ellie looks at me and rolls her eyes, she grabs my hand and leads the way.

When we get there we see a bunch of newsies infront of the place were Pulitzer is, Jack was yelling something, Me and Ellie stood there staring from Afar, A few of them started to break off into groups, after a few of them leave Jack turns to a kid, im guessing hes new, He says something to him and Jack looks at everyone then back at him, Jack grabs a kid and walks into the office with the kid, and everyone started to cheer, after they were done cheering they all walk off, "Come on" I say and walk up to boots, "Hey Boots" I say, "Hey Queenie!" He says while smiling, "Whats going on?" I ask, "We're going on strike" He replies, I look at Ellie then back at Boots, "Are you serious? A strike? Let me guess, Jack thought of it?" I say, "You bet, Everyone went off to different parts of New York to tell the other newsies about the strike, Me, Jack, and Davey are going to brooklyn." Boots explains, "Brooklyn?! Spot Conlons Territory??" I yell, "Yeah, i know, but the others wont do it without spot" Boots says, "Better hope Spot agrees." I reply, Boots was about to say something else before the doors fly open and Jack and the kid get thrown out, "Your mother! And tell Mr Pulitzer that hes gotta have an appointment with me!" Jack yells, "Yeah!" The kid says, "Jack, your going on strike?" I say while crossing my arms, Jack whips his head towards me, "Hey Queenie" Jack calmly says, "Jack, going on strike is crazy! And what if you get sent back to the Refuge?" I say, "I wont, they wont be able to catch me" Jack replies, "Sure, And boots here told me you going to Spot damn Conlon?" I say, "Yeah, we are" Jack says while he leans on the wall, "Just, be careful, be smart about this, Me and Medda will support you." I muttered the last part, "What was that?" Jack says, "I said that Ill support you." I spoke up, "Good i heard ya the first time" Jack says before he walked away, I roll my eyes and i grab Ellies arm, "Lets go, Good luck Boots with Spot Conlon" I say, Boots looks at me and nods his head, Me and Ellie then walk away, "Jack is really dumb." I say, "He cannot get sent to the refuge again." "Calm down, im sure he's fine." Ellie calms me down, "Yeah, your probably right." Ellie smiles and links her arm around mine, "Lets go visit Medda" She suggests, I smile and we start walking towards the theatre.

FEW HOURS LATER

"Queenie! Come on! Lets see if the Newsies are at the square!" Ellie says, I put down my paintbrush and get up, i run to Ellie, nearly tripping because of my heels, I lock my arm with hers and we walk out of the theater and to the square, "Are you still talkin to that newsie?" I ask, "I forgot to tell you, his name is Mush, and yes, i am still talkin to him" Ellie replies, "To be honest, hes cute" I smile, Ellie nudges me slightly, "Dont even!" She laughs, We both laugh as we walk into the square, "Hey Racetrack" I say as i unlink arms with Ellie so she can talk to Mush, He looks up at me, "Hey Queenie" He replies, "Whos this?" A boy asks, Racetrack stood up and looked at him, "This is Queenie, Queenie, this is Skittery." Racetrack says, I wave and Skittery smiles then goes back to whatever he was doing, "What are you guys doin?" I ask, "We're waiting for jack, and painting Banners and signs" Racetrack replies, "can i help with the painting?" I say, "Go for it" Racetrack replied, I smile and grab a sign that didnt have anything on it yet, I get white paint and a paintbrush and sit down on the floor and started to paint "Strike" on the sign, I overheard Racetrack making some bets with the other boys, "I'll make you a side bet for fifty bits." A boy says, "Double down boys, Double down!" Racetrack says, I look up and see Jack, Boots, and that kid walk up, Racetrack starts to scoop the coins up quickly, "Hey jack!" I hear a boy yell, all the other boys start to greet him, I stand up and look at Jack, and so do some of the other boys, "How you doing, Jack?" Racetrack asks, "Where's Spot, Jack?" I ask, Jack looks at me, "He was concerned about us being serious, can you imagine that?" Jack replies, "I can." I mutter, "Well, Y'know, Jack, Maybe we ought to ease off a little, you know?" Racetrack says, "Without Spot and the others, theres not enough of us Jack, You know?" Blink adds, "Jack, Maybe we're moving too soon, Maybe we aint ready, Y'know?" Mush says, "Yeah." Racetrack agrees, "Think so?" Jack asks, "I definitely think we should forget about it for a little while." Skittery spoke from behind me and Racetrack, "Oh, Do ya?" Jack says, "Yeah, i mean, we're not brooklyn, Y'know." Racetrack mutters, "Hey, Who are we kidding here? Spot was right, Is it just a game to you guys?" Jack says, a hint of anger in his voice, We all start to say that it isnt a game, Jack just looks at us in disappointment, "Hey, Crutchy" Jack greets, "Heya Jack" Crutchy replies, I look at Racetrack to see he was smoking, "Give it" I say, Racetrack looks at me and hands it to me, I then take a long drag from it and handed it back, "Open the gates and seize the day" I hear that kid sing, "dont be afraid and dont delay, nothing can break us no one can make us give our rights away, arise and seize the day" he continued, Hes a good singer to be honest.

𝚃𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 : 1285