Chapter 1: The Start of His Journey

3rd person pov:

It all began on a normal sunny day. Keigo plays with other children at the orphanage when a new kid arrives. As the cast iron gate opens. Everyone goes silent and looks to see who's entering. That's when Keigo's eyes light up at the sight of snow white hair.

The shy boy seemed to be a bit taller than the other children. Keigo is the first to run over to greet him.

Kei:"Ayo! Nice to meet you. My name is Keigo. What's your name?"

The nun that brought him kneels down to Keigo's eye level.

Nagant:"My sweet child. I'm afraid that this young man is mute. You see. He's seen the devils evil up close. Because of that, his hair isn't red anymore either. So please be patient with him, and protect him from bullies, won't you?"

With a nod and a solute. Keigo offers a hand to the new kid.

Kei:"Follow me, and I'll show you around your new home."

The child's gaze follows up the tiny arm till he sees a friendly smile. So he takes the boys hand and walks him around.

From the mess hall to the playroom and even the shared bedroom space. Keigo shows the boy around and tries to make him smile. Once in the school room. The boy's eyes light up when he sees a paper and quil.

Kei:"Would you like to draw?"

Keigo grabs a piece and the boy walks with him. Only to start writing.

Kei:"Wow, you have pretty handwriting,"

<My name is Touya. I'm 16 years old.>

Kei:^Only two years older than me?^

With a bow of his head. Keigo welc9mes touya to his new home.

After that, both boy's continue to walk around until they arrive at the room Keigo hesitate to go into.

Touya looks to see the smile faded from his lips.

Kei:"Here is the..... the room most of us go to pray and remember our families."

Touya opens the door and sees a little girl about seven years old lighting a candle with the help of a young priest in training.

Kei:"Father jin."

The man walks over and pats both of the boy's heads.

Jin:"What brings you both down here?"

Kei:"I'm showing touya around. Since he's only just arrived."

Jin:"Have you ever said prayer before young man?"

Touya takes a step back. So keigo squeezes his hand.

Kei:"Please forgive him, sir. He's unable to speak, but touya has great handwriting."

Jin:"I see."

Jin sits on the floor with legs crossed and offers touya a chance to write what he's thinking.

Jin:"No judgment from me my son. Only you, me, and God will know what you're thinking."

Touya looks up at keigo with worry.

Kei:"It'll be alright. If anyone is trust worthy. It's father Jin. I'll be right over there if you need me. Just clap three times, and I'll come over."

Keigo walks away and towards the little girl.

Toga:"Why did the plague have to take them?"

Kei:"We can not know what the plan may be, but we can make good of what's been given. Isn't that right sis?"

Toga nods her head and hugs keigo. Only to stop when Jin stumbles to his feet and drops the paper touya wrote.

Kei:"Father Jin, is everything alright?"

Touya grabs the paper and runs out of the room. As keigo gives chase. He's stopping at the doors by Jin.

Jin:"You mustn't play with that boy anymore. He'll only bring you misfortune. Sanctuary should have never been enforce because of people like his family."

Keigo pushes past and starts looking for touya. Hours pass and the dinner bell rings out. When Keigo goes to eat. He hides his bread. As he didn't see touya at any of the tables. Once finished with dinner. Keigo is the first out of the hall. That's when he hears snubs echoing.

Kei:"Touya!?"

Keigo sees a stone slab in the floor sticking higher than the rest. So he lifts it. Only to discover a wine cellar.

Keigo uses the latter to climb down. That's when he sees touya curled up into a ball with shredded paper all around him.

Kei:"Touya?"

Tou:"G....go away."

Keigo sits beside touya.

Kei:"We don't have to talk, but I won't leave you alone. We've all been through alot. Sometimes company helps the wounds of the heart heal."

Keigo sits in silence for an hour or two. Then touya rests his head on Keigo's shoulder.

With a smile. The blonde offers touya the bread.

Touya shakes his head no, but his stomach growls yes. Causing touya to blush and snatch it out of Keigo's hand.

After that day. Those two were inseparable. Touya even started to talk more.

Then, the day came. Touya's 18th birthday was the next day, and keigo was making him a gift out of scrap wood. Keigo dyed pieces and has glued them into an image of both of them together. After wrapping it with paper and string. Keigo sets in on his bed beside his pillow. Only to wake up by a bell ringing out in the middle of the night. When he wakes up. The smell of smoke is filling the air. Making it hard to breathe.

Kei:"Touya- *cough cough*"

Keigo grabs the gift and runs to see where touya is. Only for sister nagant to grab his arm and pull him out of the burning building.

Kei:"We can't leave without the others.

Nagant:"Everyone else is dead."

Kei:"Wha-*cough*"

Once outside, Keigo sees that the church is up in flames beyond the steeple.

Kei:"How did this happen?"

The nearby towns folk start trying to put it out. Once morning comes. The blaze has been extinguished. Keigo runs into the rubble and starts digging. Only to see bedframes and ashes. Then he finds cracked bones in t h e cellar and the smell of oil coming from it.

Keigo cries out. As he's lost another person he loves.

That was ten years ago.