iii. bonfire

ME, JEREMIAH, AND STEVEN WALKED INTO THE BACKYARD, where we found belly and conrad at

belly in the pool, and conrad sitting, his feet in the pool, with a cigarette.

"first bonfire of the summer!" jeremiah cheered.

jeremiah was always like this. the life of the party, he could get everyone in a good mood. one of my favorite traits about him

i rolled my eyes jokingly. "oh my god, shut up. you've been doing this for the past five minutes."

"alright, we're totally taking my car." steven told us, then turned to conrad. "come on, man, we're leaving."

"can i come too?" belly asked.

"uh, no." steven said. "the moms are getting everything set up for you."

"see ya." conrad said to belly, then got up. "let's go, slowpoke."

"have fun with the moms!" steven teased, causing me to hit his arm. "ow!"

ੈ✩‧₊˚ ੈ✩‧₊˚ ੈ✩‧₊˚ੈ✩‧₊˚ ੈ✩‧₊˚ ੈ✩‧₊˚

the bonfire was pretty boring, it was like every other party, one or more guys hitting on me, to which i turn them down, and everyone drinking. i always try not to get too drunk, i get a cup or two.

i turned to conrad and saw him making out with his new girlfriend, nicole. she seemed nice, i talked to her a few times.

all of a sudden though, i turned around to see belly on the ground, in the sand. and steven was right next to her.

"belly?" i asked, confused.

"i thought you hated the red sox." belly crossed her arms at conrad.

oh god belly, don't do this.

"who are you?" nicole asked, politely, but also confused, i don't blame her.

"who are you?" belly shot back, rudely.

"nicole. conrad and i went to the deb ball together last summer."

"it was after you guys left to take steven to look at colleges." conrad added.

she's pissed. i know it.

"i thought you said deb balls are bullshit, and all debs are sheep." belly glared at him.

"i didn't-" conrad stuttered, then scoffed. "you're such a brat."

i know this looked bad, but he wasn't always like this. he could be really sweet to belly, like all the time. but i guess this summer was different.