x. fourth of july

TODAY WAS THE FOURTH OF JULY, it was really important to the fisher household, so we always go all out every year

"are we done with the portrait yet?" steven impatiently asked susannah.

"yeah, for today. but you do look good in a dress shirt, steven." susannah complimented. "which makes me think, if y/n doesn't get a date, or belly doesn't hurry up and ask cam to that ball, you should take her."

"ew!" i said.

"no way!" belly also said.

"no, no, no, yeah. i'm already going with shayla." steven agreed with us, furrowing his brows.

"to the debutante ball..?" laurel asked making a weird face.

"yes..." steven laughed.

"as an escort..?"

"wrap your head around it, mom, alright? shayla's coming today with nicole and gigi, so you'll meet her."

"that's wonderful." susannah smiled. "oh, and don't forget." susannah looked at me and belly. "ms. cubbington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so, uh, tick tock."

"i'm asking cam today." belly looked up at susannah, i stayed quiet, i had no idea who to ask, or what to do.

"i don't know my kids anymore." laurel joked.

susannah paused, looking at laurel. "wait.. are you wearing makeup?"

"oh my god.." steven started to laugh. "she definitely is!"

"ooohhh!" jeremiah teased.

"please," laurel shut down our jokes. "we're having a party."

"i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with john coming to the clam bake." susannah teased.

"oh, please, the husbands always come for the fourth." laurel got her things ready, not realizing her words.

"he's not your husband anymore." belly corrected.

laurel went quiet for a moment. "whoops, yeah. ex-husband."

"you know, i still don't know why you invited dads girlfriend." steven complained in a low voice.

"her name is victoria." laurel told him. "and your father wanted us all to meet her."

"you know, speaking of dads, yours called." susannah pointed at jeremiah. "he's closing a deal, so.. he can't come."

i saw jeremiah's face shift, he was disappointed, i felt bad. "what? you said dad's not coming?"

"mhm."

conrad had walked back into the house, leaning against the kitchen sink, his lower back pressed against it.

he was literally just wearing a plain white shirt, i don't know how someone could look so good in a plain shirt.