xii. unexpected

I PRACTICED MY STEPS BY MYSELF AT REHEARSAL

I PRACTICED MY STEPS BY MYSELF AT REHEARSAL. i should have gotten a date. belly had already asked cam, and they're going together. meanwhile, i was practicing my dance steps by myself.

"everyone!" paige called out. "please welcome our debutante waltz instructor, ms. convington, all the way from ms. convington school of ballroom dance in newton."

oh god, why did i agree to this.

"thank you, paige." ms convington smiled, as everyone clapped. "as you all know, the waltz is the most highly anticipated part of the ball, so, please join your partners now. and we'll begin the fundamentals."

i stood not having a clue what to do, everyone all partnered up, and me by myself.

"hey. where's your escort?" nicole walked up to me, she was probably gonna lecture me about not having a date.

"i don't have one yet." i looked down.

"uh, that's okay!" nicole gave me a small smile. "i'll be your partner for today."

nicole grabbed one hand onto my waist, and held my other, us doing the dance ms. convington told us to do. "really?" i asked

"sure!" she seemed enthusiastic. "but you need an escort for the big night. paige is gonna have like- an aneurysm if you wait too long."

i laughed a little. "yeah, so will susannah."

we started practicing the steps, i had a feeling i was doing bad, meanwhile, nicole knew what she was doing.

"you're doing really good." nicole complimented.

i started to laugh a little. "what? in these shoes?"

"it's a simple step." ms. covington told everyone. "forward to the left, slide to the right, and then the feet close together."

"did you do all this last year with conrad?" i asked nicole, out of curiosity.

"well, conrad was spared ms. convington." nicole responded. "i was originally supposed to go with this guy, james, but he dropped out last minute. so, conrad stepped in to save me."

"yeah, susannah taught him a lot of dances." i remembered.

"conrad, actually, um.. he left me on read last night." nicole told me.

i kind of felt bad for the girl, she seemed all in, while conrad seemed like he wasn't. and i love conrad, i've known him my whole life, but i felt bad for nicole.

"i was wondering if you've seen him at all today?" nicole asked me, a bit of hope in her eyes.

"no, he was still asleep when i left." i furrowed my brows a bit. "last time i saw him was when we were cleaning after the party, maybe he just fell asleep and decided to sleep in."