Chapter 5 - Athena

Pyrrha

Rain poured endlessly, glowing in the headlights of Pyrrha's red car, driving through the beautiful countryside, obscured by the darkness of night. Usually the stars would be a beautiful view on this drive, but with the sky shrouded with thick clouds, it just made everything feel even darker.

Inside the car, it was eerily quiet, with Misty sat in the passenger seat, her head pressed against the window, and Pyrrha driving with one hand on the steering wheel. Pyrrha glanced at Misty as she drove, then she sighed. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Misty." Pyrrha said to her.

"It's okay... we shouldn't have gone. I'm sorry." Misty softly said, which made Pyrrha lightly chuckle.

"No wonder you are Ori are so close, you're so similar. Constantly apologising." Then she realised the irony. "Oh, boy... looks like that's another thing I passed down to her. I was just like that as a girl." Pyrrha admitted. "Still am, I guess."

But Misty was quiet. Pyrrha looked at her again, then she sighed. "Misty..."

"Yeah?" she answered timidly.

"... do your parents... hurt you?" She asked her, in a very serious tone, looking at her.

"W-What do you mean?" She asked.

"I saw your face... the fear in your eyes when I was about to call your parents. I know you don't see them often but that wasn't a look of a girl who's worried of upsetting her parents because they'd just be mad at her." Pyrrha said as she looked at Misty, who gently held her arm, her lip trembling. "And I heard what you said... you were gonna say they would hurt you if they learned about this, weren't you?" She asked her.

Misty was still silent. "Yeah..." she answered. It was so soft that Pyrrha nearly didn't hear her.

"Honey, you can talk to me. And please... don't let tonight confuse anything... you are family to me." Pyrrha revealed, and Misty's eyes widened with tears in them. It meant the world hearing that from Pyrrha as well as Oriana. She then started fiddling with her fingers.

"It wasn't always like this. When I was little... they were good to me. But... in the years since they've... changed. Became angrier. They fight often, and sometimes when they're mad... they take it out on me. They're always away on business trips... or just away. I used to always want to talk to them whenever they came home, but they never wanted any time with me. Sometimes my mom would... hit me... if I was up later than I should. Or if my grades weren't as good as they usually are." Misty explained, tears streaming from her eyes.

"Misty..." Pyrrha whispered, sighing, and then tightening her grip on the steering wheel. Hearing this? After all this time, she's known Misty? It made her want to do to her parents what she did to Team C.R.D.L that one time. "I'm so sorry... I should have seen it. I never was a huge fan of your parents, but... I never imagined..."

She sighed, then looked at her. "I'm so sorry I threatened to call them."

"It's okay, Mrs Nikos..." she assured, Pyrrha glanced at her then shot her a smile.

"Mrs Nikos?" She asked.

"H-Huh?" Misty trembled, then Pyrrha giggled.

"Even after all these years, you still call me that? I think you've earned a first name basis with us, honey." Pyrrha assured.

"I guess... I dunno... it feels weird." Misty shrugged.

"Well, whatever happens... you let us know, okay? You're never alone, you have us. And I will always have your back, I know Jaune will.. and I definitely know Oriana will. I think that little argument earlier is proof of that." Pyrrha said, reaching over and gently stroking the side of Misty's purple hair. Misty smiled delicately, trying not to cry from such kindness.