Chapter 18 - Return to the Atlesian Wildlands

The Deacon

He felt his nerves burn with frustration, staring at the holographic screen displaying the live news. He saw a News Reporter on the scene, where Police, Ambulances and Fire Trucks driving around the area, collecting the injured and containing the fires caused from the battle. Tape was locking the crime scene up whilst the woman interviewed one eyewitness on what they saw.

"I recognised Cardin Winchester, but I didn't know who the girl was. She was vicious, though. Team R.W.B.Y tried their best to contain the situation. If they hadn't been there, a lot more people could have been hurt, maybe even killed." The interviewee explained, and the Deacon's shaking mechanical hand clenched into a fist. He roared as he grabbed onto a decorative vase and launched it against the window, causing it to shatter upon impact, making the thick window wobble, scratching it.

He heard the door open behind him, and he swiftly turned, glaring at the entrance to see a battered and bruised Neopolitan and Cardin Winchester. They knew they were in trouble, he could tell from the look of fear on their faces, but trouble was an understatement in the Deacon's eyes. "Proud of yourselves?" The Deacon questioned, pointing at the holographic screen.

"Look man... I needed a drink, how was I supposed to know Jaune was gonna track my ass down like that?" Cardin questioned, then the Deacon switched the screen off, walking to the centre of the room to stare the pair down.

"Oh, that's not what pisses me off. I wasn't expecting Jaune to go berserk either... maybe I should've. But no, this is about attacking Team R.W.B.Y in broad daylight!" The Deacon argued, pointing at him. Then he stared at Neo. "And you?"

She flinched slightly, since she truly meant to keep her promise. He scoffed, then turned to Roman's Hat which was still in his office, picking it up and gripping it in his metal grasp. Her eyes widened with fear, constantly tracking the position of that bowler. "You gave me your word you wouldn't cause any trouble."

Roman appeared beside the Deacon. "She didn't mean to, it's just..." The Deacon didn't look at her puppet, he just formed Hallshott and stabbed him through the head, breaking the illusion, never breaking his glare on Neo.

"Oh, I know exactly what happened... I know you saw Ruby, and you decided your vengeance was more important to you than the promise you made." He stated, pulling a fire dust cartridge from his pouch and loading it into his cybernetic arm. Orange light glowed from the pistons, preparing him to use fire like a sorcerer could from times long past. He stared at the hat in his hand, then he glanced back at Neo, seeing the terrified expression on her face.

He knew what this hat meant to her, and it was more than clear how much she loved Roman Torchwick. Tears were welling in her huge eyes, and she was reaching out for the hat... but she was frozen. That fact surprised him... she could easily take the hat back, make it another illusion, attack him suddenly...

... but she didn't.

And then, he thought back to the things he said, about vengeance, and how much it meant to her. And how did I react to seeing Jaune again? He sighed, loosening his grip, and ejecting the heat safely from his arm, wasting that fire dust cartridge.

"How am I any different?" He sighed.

He tossed the hat back to Neo, and she caught it instantly, clutching it close to her chest, closing her eyes tightly with relief. Cardin stood tall and looked down at Neo. Seeing her adoration for the hat seemed to strike a chord in him. He turned his attention back to the Deacon, who sat down and pressed his hands against his head. The Deacon sighed, shaking his head. "Please... next time just... come back to the HQ as I planned?" The Deacon asked, and Cardin nodded his head.