Chapter 5

I was sure that my friends would be eager to see the reaction of my family when they discover that I am the newly appointed Wolf-Mage of their pack. The face my older brother made was priceless. If I had a camera, I would have hung it as a portrait on my wall. He looked as if he had seen the grim reaper.

Although his reaction was hilarious, I wondered why he looked a bit afraid. Was it guilt for what he had done? Was it a fear of the unknown or a surprise that I, his "weak" younger brother am back? Whatever the reason was, it soon evaporated and a sneer soon replaced the shock on his face.

"I am sure that the warrior who escorted you in would have told you about how things are run in this pack?" He asked.

"I was able to understand the decline in reasonability and sensibility in pack's day to day life." I replied.

"Even if you are my brother, it doesn't give you a pass. I do not tolerate any form of disrespect."

In an effort to swallow a laugh bursting from my lips, I pressed down my lips. Still, a chuckle managed to escape,

"Am I funny to you?" He asked, standing up.

"You still haven't gotten the memo, have you?" I asked before standing up and leaning forward, making sure that there was nothing but a few inches between our face.

"Alpha Adam," I stated, looking him in the eye. "I am not returning as your naïve younger brother. The Leo you once knew was dead. I am simply a wolf mage reporting for duty. I am here to simply perform my duties and I won't hinder yours if mine goes unhindered."

He looked back at me, his eyes burning in anger. If I was an average wolf, he would have torn me apart. I silently prayed to the moon goddess, hoping my behavior will bring forth an expected reaction.

Adam suddenly smiled and sat back down.

"Fine, Mr. Leo..." he started

"It's Sir. Leo to you." I interrupted.

I saw a vein threatening to burst out of his skin as he corrected himself through gritted teeth.

"Well, Sir. Leo, we have a test for whoever wants to be accepted by this pack." Adam said.

"What test would that be?" I asked.

"A test of strength. In thirty minutes you will be combating one of our average warriors. Your performance will be graded by the Alpha of this pack. Go to the receptionist to find out where your test will be scheduled."

I nodded and walked out of the office in anger. I knew what he was trying to do and I have to participate.

The test of strength was a tradition of The River Pack. Any wolf who wishes to have a e permanent residence in this pack is to undergo the test. It is a physical exercise in which the wolf will be pitted against an experienced warrior in the pack. The wolf doesn't have to necessarily win; they simply have to prove to the examiners that they are strong.

I was not supposed to undergo this test but I shot myself in the leg by telling Adam that I am not coming back as the second son of the alpha but as a Wolf-Mage.

Adam has already called the receptionist and told her of his decision. She smiled haughtily at me and led me to the training grounds.

"You will be facing Gamma Bryce in the test." I heard her say.

Bryce is one of Adam's friends. He is the strongest warrior in the pack, but I personally think it was his relationship with the Alpha that got him the position. Anyone can challenge the Gamma to combat. The winner becomes the next Gamma.

"The Alpha will be examining the test himself." She said, in a tone that suggests that I should feel honored to be examined by the Alpha.

I didn't reply.

The Gamma was one of my tormentors in the days before my academy. He once spat in my food in the cafeteria to my brother's approval. I knew my brother wanted history to repeat itself but I wouldn't let it happen.

The training grounds were already packed with young warriors and regular wolves eager to watch their Gamma fight. The ring was sandy and circular; just how I remembered it. I could already spot my opponent at the opposite side of the ring.

He was bare-chested and was hopping like a kangaroo around the ring. I immediately grew a dislike for him. What was the point of his jumping? Does he think I was that easy to deal with? I didn't need take off my shirt for anyone to see. I simply took my shoes off and entered the ring.

The announcer walked in to ring called us both to the middle. At the corner of my eye, I could see Adam taking his seat, smirking at me.

"You might want to take the shirt off." Bryce said.

"You might want to put a Kevlar on" I replied.

His face soured as he gritted his teeth in anger.

"I'll put you in your place, Leo. This isn't High School." he threatened

"You wish."

We both returned our positions, each never taking his eye off the other. Soon, the whistle blew.

He advanced but I didn't. He kept walking towards me but I didn't budge.

What I simply did was to stretch and keep my hands in my pockets. I didn't intend to fight him, I wanted to wear him out and make him look like a fool in front of the whole pack.

He suddenly rushed forward and tried giving me a kick in the face. I dodged it at the last minute, without removing my hands from my pockets. He moved towards me again and tried to overwhelm me under a flurry of punches, but I dodged every one of them at the last second.

The "last second dodging" is a skill that I learnt personally. It is more of a psychological attack. The main purpose of the skill is to frustrate my opponent. It always works.

I smirked at my muscular, now perspiring opponent. He looked at me in the eye, surprised at my speed and reflexes. Of course, my hands were still in my pocket. I glanced at Adam's face, let's just say, he wasn't happy at all.

"Come on Bryce, this should be a piece of cake!" The Alpha shouted.

"Yeah, Bryce," I mocked. "I am getting bored. Is that all you got?"