Chapter 6

Bryce roared and rushed toward me at blinding speed, again, I stepped out of the way. He started faking his moves, making it more difficult for me to spot him; at least that's what he thinks. One thing known to a few people is my abilities; my forte. I am the second recorded electricity user in the Wolf-Mage community. I have learnt how to use my powers in both minute and large magnitudes.

My abilities allow me to control all forms of electricity and charges, and I mean ALL forms of electricity. This probably makes me invincible in a one on one fight. I can easily take on both my best-friends in the Academy at the same time and they are seasoned fighters. I can predict any movement by reading the flow of electricity in the muscles and nerves. In a nutshell, you cannot land a hit on me unless I allow it, or unless you are faster than me. Which is highly impossible.

After an attempted kick to the head and a leg swipe, I jumped out of the way and landed a few feet away from Bryce.

"Come on, Bryce." I said. "You are disappointing me." The fool probably thought it will be a walk in the park.

Then in a loud voice, cocking my head toward Adam's direction, "Are you sure that you are the Gamma of the Forked River pack? The Gamma I once knew wasn't this weak."

Adam has already crushed his smart phone in anger. Bryce looked around, his pack members and warriors were looking at him in disbelief, after all, he was supposed to be the strongest warrior in the pack.

I then removed my hands from my pockets.

"I have given you enough time to land a strike. However, you disappointed me. Now, it's my turn and I promise that I won't disappoint you."

I then walked forward, toward my opponent who in frustration and anger threw a punch which I easily bypassed. I then gave him a heavy chop on the neck.

He fell facedown, and coughed loudly. He spat out for a while, removing the sand that entered his mouth.

Even though he was already tired ( I could see his limbs shaking) I had to admit that he was quite strong. The average wolf would have passed out from the neck chop I gave him. Perhaps I used too much strength in the chop? I couldn't really blame myself, he was simply having a taste of his medicine.

He managed to stand up and face me, while taking a battle stance again.

Wiping a small trace of blood and sand from his lips he looked me in the eye and asked, "What do you want?"

How things have changed, I thought. Ten years ago, when the bullying started, I asked him that same question.

"What do you want?"

I re-imagined the scene. I just got lunch from the cafeteria - few potato chips and an orange juice- when I was bumped into. I quickly regained by balance and stood to face my attacker only to realize that there was an "S" behind the "attacker"

"Sorry, didn't see you there." He said, smirking at me. A few giggles erupted from the cafeteria.

It didn't help that I had a smart mouth then.

"Why? Forgot your glasses at home?" I asked.

"Hey look! We've got a smart mouth here." He said to his friends who snickered in return.

I didn't reply him and tried to walk toward my table, only to be pushed heavily this time. All my food got thrown out of the tray I was holding them in. Only my orange juice was intact since it was in a bottle.

"What do you want?" I asked him indignantly.

I remembered Adam, my older brother seated on a chair looking on in amusement.

Now, I watched this same bully asking me this same question I asked him ten years ago. The only difference was the emotion that preceded the question. 10 years ago, it was anger, now, it was desperation.

I decided to answer his question the same way mine was answered.

"What I want? Let me see.." I said, pretending to think for a while ( his reaction ten years ago). "I think I just need a toy to play with."

His eyes widened.

Was that regret or realization? I wondered.

He rushed towards me in what I presumed to be his final attack. He threw a punch and I immediately knew what he wanted to do. He was faking a move to reappear behind me.

I pretended to fall for the trick and waited until the last moment to grab the incoming punch and throw him over my shoulder. But I didn't let him land before giving him an electrified palm strike that sent him flying out of the ring.

I knew he wouldn't be standing up anytime soon.

The announcer waited for a moment before proclaiming me the winner of the bout.

The test was over. The audiences were in disbelief. Murmurs increased in volume but I noticed a group of young warriors, barely in their teens looking at me and smiling. I grinned in turn.

I stood to face Adam and cocked my head sideways, sending out a message that only he understands: "Is that all you got?"

Adam stood and the entire hall fell quite. That was the power of the Alpha.

"The test isn't over." He said aloud before looking at me. "You," he said, pointing at my insouciant figure. "will face me in a bout."

The words he uttered seemed to ignite the audience again as murmurs and grumbles started again.

"There should be only one test for the incomer." One said

"He defeated the Gamma. Does that make him the new Gamma?" another asked.

"I heard he is a Wolf Mage"

I was surprised. What was he trying to prove? The entire pack could see his unreasonableness. Who the fuck undergoes two tests in a day?

Adam jumped into the ring and took off his shirt, showcasing his ripped muscles. Meanwhile, I haven't even taken of my hoodie.

"Get ready brother, I won't go easy on you." He said, eyes brimming with anger.

"It wasn't my fault the Gamma was weak." I said, crouching, knowing unlike my former opponent, I needed to take Adam serious.

He took fighting stance and waited for the bell to ring. I on the other hand, didn't move a muscle. I kept reading the electric flow of his body.

In my crouching stance, I extended my claws and readied my legs to leap and deal my opponent with a single strike.

The bell rung in a deafening noise and the entire auditorium waited in silence for the impending fight.

Adam moved toward me and I leaped forward, intending to meet him halfway. Before any of us could land a hit on the other, a deep voice echoed throughout the auditorium.

The voice was a familiar commanding and very imposing; the voice of my father.

"Stop this immediately." He ordered, with my mom walking carefully beside him.

"I would not have both my sons having a meaningless fight in my pack." He ordered.

I regained my posture and faced my parents. They already had a few white strands erupting from their heads. Everyone in the auditorium bowed low at the presence of the Alpha. Even the Interim-Alpha bowed to the presence of his father. I also bowed briefly to show respect went to the edge of ring to wear my shoes.

It was already late in the evening and I needed to stay somewhere. I decided to go get my phone from my luggage and call Trevor. Perhaps I will crash over at his place. I walked past my parents, not giving them heed.

"Leo wait," my mum said in her thin voice; a voice that I surprisingly missed.

I stopped in my tracks and waited.

"Would you have dinner with us tonight?" She asked, grabbing my arm at the elbow.

"No." I said.

"Please, for my sake?" she asked again, squeezing my arm in anticipation.

"Fine."