Chapter 9

I still had about thirty minutes to myself until the dinner. So I decided to go for a walk in the woods. These same woods were the place I could call home during my early days in this pack. I still remembered the huge oak tree at the middle of the woods. I have always asked how the oak came to be since the climate of my pack doesn't really support the growth of such a tree.

It has definitely been a long while.

I can still see the traces of my fists and claws on the bark of the tree. It was the day after I regained consciousness. That day was still vivid in my mind like it happened yesterday.

Flashback

I woke up about thirty minutes after suffering the fist my brother gave me to my head. I was still on the floor and my mate was still in the house.

Her face clouded when she looked at me. This same girl swore to love me just a week ago. Hell, we even carved our names on the oak tree as a sign of our new-found love. As I walked out of the house, I could hear my brother snicker at me when my hand touched the door knob.

"It is normal for people to flock towards the stronger one and the one with greater potential." He said proudly, as though sleeping with my mate was an accomplishment.

I refused to reply; I just wanted to get to the woods, away from all the garbage and to just decide on my next move.

"Leo, we need to talk." I heard the voice say. The voice I always wanted to hear at one point and now, the sound of that voice wanted to make my very soul fill up with sadness.

"We have nothing to talk about." I said, taking another step outside the door.

"I have decided that I want to be with Adam." she said in a tone that seemed to suggest that she was doing me a favor by severing our bond.

"Cool, reject me then." I said before walking out.

I was within earshot when I heard her say the words.

"By the name of the Moon goddess and with the power of her blood that runs through my veins, I Jade Maslow reject Leonard Jaxon Cage as my mate and lifelong partner."

I could feel the pain of rejection ripping my soul in half but I didn't stumble, I walked on for at that point, pain has already become a friend.

End of Flashback

I rubbed my fingers on the scar I made on the tree. The poor tree didn't deserve any of the tantrum I gave it. It just stood there and took all my anger and lashes without uttering a single word. It was also at this point that I decided to leave the pack and join the Academy. After the manifestation of my powers at the age of 5, I had to concentrate really hard if I wanted to even bring out lousy spark of my powers.

My time in the Academy however, has allowed me to grow even stronger that I could ever imagine. The incident at Westgate even allowed me to grow exponentially but still, I felt a certain kind of emptiness in me. I just couldn't figure it out.

The drop from a broken twig from the oak tree pulled me back into reality. I need to get back to my family home for dinner. Not that I actually cared, I just wanted to fulfil my promise to my mom.

I knocked at the door and it was answered by my mom.

"We've been expecting you." She said with a smile.

"No worries, I simply came here because I said I would."

The dinner has already been set. My dad and my brother are already seated. I sat at the far end, directly opposite my father, away from the rest of the family. Unlike Adam who took my dad's bulky frame and my mother's eyes, I took the tall lean stature of my maternal grandfather and ironically, my dad's almost emotionless eyes.

Needless to say, we both stared at each other. None of us uttering a word. To my right, Adam was seated glaring at me. He was still sour from this afternoon. I didn't mind the attention though. I knew they would eventually come up with something. 

Scratch that, I knew they have something in mind. A request probably? I can't be certain until it they spill it. Food was served and everyone started eating. Everyone except me. Mom kept trying to incite small talk with me.

"So how were your days in the Academy?" She asked.

"Peaceful." I replied. That was not exactly true though. "The pack has changed a lot since I left."

"Oh yeah." She quipped. "We got into a contract with the White-moon pack. They helped us with some construction while we lent our assistance with the security issues of their pack."

"Not bad." Pack deals isn't a new thing.

Turning towards dad, I asked. "You stepped down from the Alpha position?"

 No reply.

"Oh yes." Mom answered, again.

 "Your brother had to learn the ropes under your father's guidance.""Really?" I said, raising my cup of coffee to my lips before sipping loudly. "I think he is doing a great job as the interim Alpha."

This earned me a grunt from Adam

"Are you not hungry?" mom asked, noting that I haven't touched my plate.

I am actually. But one of thing I have learnt from my days in the academy, it is the art of making deals. And I knew this was more than a "family gathering."

 "What do you guys want?" I asked matter-of-factly. 

"Leonard! Show some decency." My mom wailed.

"Elisa, it's enough." My dad said. "There is no point trying to hide it." He then looked at me before asking, "When was the last time you contacted your mate?"

Of all the questions he could ask. He decided to ask that?

"I don't have one." I replied.