Chapter 12

Leo's POV

Thankfully, the attack didn't really affect the stability of the pack as much as I had anticipated. We only had a few injured and about one or two dead warriors. After about a week, the pack was back in action.

On my dad's orders, I have already received an office and a place to myself. However, I still go to Trevor's place for dinner from time to time - I haven't furnished the apartment yet.

Deep down, I didn't want an office because I preferred walking about the pack and ensuring that my pack was functioning well.

My mom tried to bring up the issue of Jade, my former mate again, after the attack but I didn't let her get under my skin.

It took a little findings and questions here and there before I discovered that my pack is down financially and that my mom is trying to reignite my relationship with Jade to further the interest of the pack.

I entered the Senate building and sat down with paperwork for about two hours. Soon enough, I wanted out. But just as I was about to stand from my chair, my door was knocked on twice.

"Come in." I said.

The door opened and the my secretary came through. Yeah. I now have a secretary. A secretary on my own payroll. My dad decided that I didn't really need one.

Her name is Carol and she is barely 19. She just graduated high school and needed a job to pay for her college fees. I met her on my third day here.

She was trying out her first day as a call girl before I met her. She did a very bad job at trying to seduce me before she, in frustration, told me about her plight.

"Some packages arrived for you from the." she pursed through the labels. "The Mage Academy and the Red Mountain pack."

I knew what was in the Red mountain package but I wasn't too sure of the Mage academy's package.

"Thank you." I said, gesturing for her to drop it at the table.

She dropped it a little too slowly and hesitated before retracing her steps out of the room.

"Spill it." I said, not taking my eyes of the paper I am reading.

She looked a bit flustered. She then hesitated for a bit. I smiled. She wanted to say something.

"Your sister is here." She said.

"Who??"

"Miss Catherine Cage"

"Oh. Is that what you were hesitating to tell me?"

"Well, you didn't want anyone to disturb you during work." She said slowly. Perhaps she was scared that I will fire her for any mistake she might make. My dad and brother did not exactly have a good track record. There is even a possibility that the receptionist was still keeping her job because she warms my brother's bed.

"Tell her to come in." I said.

She nodded before leaving.

A few minutes later, my door busted open and a girl I could barely recognize walked in.

"Brother!" She said cheerfully before taking her seat. My sister has grown to be a very beautiful woman and was very different from the 14 year old I left behind.

I smiled.

"How are you Catherine?"

"You look different." She said, ignoring my question. "I was expecting you too look as buff as dad and Adam."

I chuckled. I knew she had this kind of personality but I was surprised that she could act as if we were on talking terms all through these years.

She suddenly stood up and walked towards the cupboard in my room where my robe was.

"You are quite comfortable around me knowing that you haven't been in contact with me over the last seven years." I said, still sitting down.

"Oh yeah." She said, turning towards me. "about that. I don't know if I should actually apologize or feign ignorance."

"What do you mean?"

"Well," she continued. "You suddenly left without saying goodbye."

"No I didn't. I wrote a letter to the entire family, informing them about my absence." I said.

"No not the family. Fuck the family. I was talking about me, your little sister." She said, putting her hands on her waist.

"After what the Adam did to me, and after the family's reaction to the incident," I said, firmly. "I just had to leave. You were not supportive as well. So don't blame me"

"Just because he slept with your girlfriend?" she said, nonchalantly.

"My mate." I corrected.

"I didn't know about that. I was always told that it was a girlfriend issue."

I paused for a while.

"There is an ice-cream shop about 2 miles away. Take me there and we will call it a truce." she said

I knew the shop she was talking about.

"Fine." I said. "But I am not paying."

I informed my secretary of my absence and opened a portal to an alley about a block from the shop.

My sister stared at me before relaxing.

"I've forgotten you that you are a mage." she said before stepping into the portal and I followed.

Thankfully, there was no one in the alley cause I have had my share of surprised looks.

We both ordered our ice-cream and sat at a gazebo close to the shop.

"So how is life with you?" I asked.

"I completed my degree two years ago and since then, I have been travelling around the different packs all around the world."

"Have you met your mate yet?"

"Yes I have. My mate is the Alpha of the Icy Mountains pack "she said, her face lighting up before suddenly dulling. "But I am not ready to settle down yet."

"Why not?" I asked. "What did dad and mom say?"

"They haven't said anything for now. They said I should follow my dreams and do what I want."

I signed. I knew what they were trying to do. When help is needed from the pack, they would present my sister as a bargaining chip to them. My sister is simply a bargaining chip to them. That is what we all were to them.