Chapter 6: San Francisco

Outside San Francisco, Kyle and his group are just arriving through the highway to the city. In the front jeep, Kyle is driving as Sarah is looking at the forest surrounding them. Cassandra is sharpening her arrows. Kyle winces, clutching onto his chest.

Sarah: Kyle? You okay?

Kyle: Still hurts.....it's only been two weeks and sometimes....fuck, that really could've been it.

Sarah: You're a survivor, Kyle...

Kyle: So was he....they both were....

Sarah looks back at Cassandra, who continues sharpening her arrows.

Sarah: How are you doing?

Cassandra: I'm surviving. Bout all I can do.

Sarah: Cassandra...

Cassandra sighs.

Cassandra: You know; we always looked at you as an example. Marriage. Kids......I always envied you, Sarah.

Sarah: Why?

Cassandra: How strong you've been with all you've been through. I just wish...I could be like you, Sarah.

Sarah: Oh, honey....trust me; it's not easy. All I've lost...all I've gained...it all cost something along the way.

Cassandra sighs.

Cassandra: I wish James could've known how happy he made me.....there were so many things I wanted to say to him....how grateful I am for him...

Sarah takes Cassandra's hand.

Sarah: Cassandra...

Cassandra: Really, Sarah. I'm doing okay. I can't cry right now.

Cassandra looks out and smiles.

Cassandra: My Dad took me on trips like this....just right outside of Midtown Manhattan. Hey, Kyle?

Kyle: What?

Cassandra: I was just thinking, with all the people we've crossed. Who do you think was this? What about those cannibals you guys came across before you came to Midtown Manhattan? Kane, right?

Kyle: Doubtful. We made sure that all those crazy fucks were dead. Besides, these guys didn't look like the same group.

Cassandra: Maybe Sawyer's people? Or the twins? Takers?

Sarah: Cassandra, honey, we've crossed a lot of people out in the wasteland. I don't guessing is gonna really do anything.

In the RV, Hunter is taking stock of the weapons as Rachel is listening to music on his walkman.

Rachel: While we're out here, we should look for some music cassettes to play on here.

Hunter laughs, but continues stocking up on weapons.

Rachel: Oh, look, a building that's shaped like a giraffe....

Hunter: Uh-huh.

Rachel sighs, before taking off her headphone.

Rachel: Okay...Hunter.

Hunter: Huh?

Rachel: Can you look at me for a minute?

Hunter sighs, before looking up at Rachel.

Hunter: Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm just thinking...getting Shawn and Margaret will mean we have to kill people, won't we?

Rachel sighs.

Rachel: Yeah....

Hunter: I've never had to kill before...least, not intentionally. Orion on the boat four years ago was one thing, but....