Chapter 10: Communication

In the Outlands, Elizabeth has taken Caleb to a Ferris wheel with an flooded section down below it. Elizabeth rocks the carousel seat that the two are sitting in.

Caleb: Dude!

Elizabeth: (laughs)

Caleb: I'm gonna kill you.

Elizabeth: What?

Caleb: Seriously! Can you knock it off?!

Elizabeth: How bout you come over and enjoy this view with me, huh?

Caleb: It's cool. Nice view.

Elizabeth: Oh...come on. I invited you all the way up here so you can chicken out on the last step.

Caleb: Yes...yeah...deal was to get up here...so...deal closed.

Elizabeth: Okay, here's what gonna happen; you're gonna get your ass up here and sit on the edge or you can watch from the kid seat and look at the view.

Caleb: Elizabeth....

Caleb gives a serious look.

Caleb: I've really enjoyed my day with you, but I haven't heard from my friends in Berrington, yet. I gotta make sure they're doing okay.

Elizabeth: John is taking care of that, you whussy.....so don't try to use that as an excuse to puss out.

Caleb: It's getting late.

Elizabeth: Yeah...okay..

Elizabeth climbs up.

Caleb: Elizabeth...Elizabeth! Goddammit! Don't! It's too fuckin high! Elizabeth! Jesus Christ....

Elizabeth: Jesus...

Elizabeth climbs up and steadies herself.

Elizabeth: You know; I was so depressed when you left me...and when I met you, I always wondered if you would be the type of man to jump. You ever watched Titanic? You ever hear that quote "you jump, I jump".

Caleb: Elizabeth, that is terrible quote to live by. I'm not jumping after you if you—

Elizabeth: Here's the chance to prove that theory!

Elizabeth jumps down into the pond below as Caleb exclaims and stands up, going to check on Elizabeth below.

Caleb: Elizabeth! Elizabeth!

Caleb jumps down into the pond, before he swims up for air and frantically looking for Elizabeth.

Caleb: Elizabeth! Elizabeth!

Elizabeth swims up from next to Caleb.

Elizabeth: Caleb!

Caleb: I'm down here, you asshole!

Elizabeth looks Caleb, smiling.

Elizabeth: You jumped? And I missed it?!

Caleb: Yeah...I thought you drowned!

Elizabeth: And you followed me to make sure I didn't drown?

Caleb: No, I wanted to be sure you drowned.

Elizabeth laughs.

Elizabeth: Well, I found something pretty cool...

Caleb: What?

Elizabeth: I think you have to follow me to come see it for yourself.

Swimming out of the pond, Elizabeth leads Caleb to an ski resort, where Elizabeth presents to Caleb the view of the entire Outlands. Caleb smiles in amazement.