(FEB NEW) Chapter 15 - Affection

--
Red Velvet Pov

As he and Pastry silently walked to his room, Red Velvet couldn't help but reminisce. The feeling of holding her in his arms wouldn't leave. Even though it hasn't been long at all, it felt like months since he first carried her in. It's all too familiar, the staircase race and the race to his room. Funny how fast things can change. He never thought this moment would come that they're peacefully side by side.

Red Velvet only noticed he was already at his door when he grabbed the handle. The entire way here, he has been thinking about her. His mind was so focused on the cookie that he walked to his room by memory. It has always been the same routine on repeat, after all. Red Velvet rarely leaves the tower as of lately. The path he takes never changes, just like his life. He never expected any of it to change for the better, either.

- Did you forget something?" Pastry asked and he could see her look at him from the corner of his eye.

- No, I didn't. Opposite actually." He said and blinked a few times to get back to his senses and open the door to his room.

- Oh, alright then." She replied and followed him inside of the room. He hoped Pastry wouldn't dig further into his words and wonder what he meant. There was no way she could guess what was on his mind, right? Red Velvet turned around to her and was about to say something when Pastry had laid her eyes on the surprise he had prepared. For he didn't forget about what was so precious to her that she brought it here in the first place, in her own two arms.

- The teddy..!" She said beaming with joy but swiftly toned down her emotions when she noticed they were too visible. He could only watch in sympathy longing to open his mouth to comfort her in some way, but he had an instinct that he shouldn't.

What would it mean if he opened up and even let her in for a hug like this? He couldn't, the hidden judgmental eyes in the walls would know. Even if none were present, all the time, he felt evaluated for every choice. It was fine earlier, it was a smooth daily life with one simple requirement. Do what Dark Enchantress asks for, which isn't a lot. He has his job, and that's that. He doesn't envy those who roam carefree wherever they want to go. It's comfortable inside of the tower's walls. If not here, he would have nowhere else to go, doesn't that sound familiar? Red Velvet loosened up his tough expression.

- I told the guards to get what you left downstairs. That teddy means a lot to you, doesn't it?" He asked and looked at Pastry's eyes shifting over to distress.

- It's just a teddy bear, just an object I happened to bring with me. Just soulless fabric, doesn't mean a single thing." She excused and sunk her head.

- Pastry, you have nothing to hide anymore." He said, reading through her forced front and was met with a sour reply from her lips.

- Easier said." Pastry said without looking up at him. "What words do you think they said to me before?" She continued and refused to lift her head back up. (She's right.) Red Velvet thought to himself and regretted the feeble thought process he put into the sentence that was meant to make her release her thoughts. That's exactly what they would say. Expecting an apology to come rushing after, he took the word.

- I understand. You aren't forced to say anything." He reassured with a kindhearted tone to let her know his intentions are pure and not filled with filthy pressure. "Now we should actually do what we came here to do, rest," Red Velvet said at last and made the bed when he realised there's just one bed and two of them.

- Oh I can take one of the couches, no worries." Pastry's voice spoke from behind him. She must already be on the way through the door, he assumed.

- Wait! You can sleep on the bed if you'd like." He said and turned around, meeting her shocked face. She stood where he had guessed she'd be.