Opening Night

I heard someone start to sing so I checked it out to be Miss Jenn then someone started to clap at the very back of the room in the dark "you've still got it." They spoke "Nini, what are you doing here?" Miss Jenn spoke, I quickly looked behind the curtain to see Nini "I can't believe you still came." I spoke as she rushed over to me and crashed into me for a big hug "gosh I've missed you so much." She said as we hugged tighter, I could feel someone staring at me from behind but I didn't bother to look "I've missed you too." I spoke with a smile
"Y/n? Aren't you supposed to be helping with the others?" Miss Jenn asked "no, Maddox has it all controlled." I said waving her off "I couldn't miss this last show with the Wildcats." Nini said with a laugh.

I left them two to have their talk together as I helped with props and getting the cast in their costumes "hey Y/n, are you okay?" Maddox asked me as I helped Emmy into her costume "yeah, why?" "You just seemed a bit off a minute ago." Maddox said a bit concerned, I finished helping Emmy and looked at Maddox with a smile "I'm good." I said and she smiled back at me and nodded. I nodded back and started to get the show started, it was going really well, Carlos had everyone in the audience laughing at his jokes. Now it was time for Kourt's solo of 'Let It Go' which she was smashing. Then somehow the power of the lights went out "Maddox? What happened?" I asked her calmly "I don't know." She answered whilst shaking "hey, it's okay." I said taking her hand "I'll figure it out." I added as I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, she smiled and nodded at me.

I went around backstage trying to fix the lights as the audience held up their flashlights on their phones, which created a spotlight on Kourt, Kourt started to sing again and her confidence grew and created a show on her own. When I got to the main switch the camera guy was stood right next to it chuckling to himself "nice try." I said smugly and turned the power back on. I walked back to my position next to Maddox "how did you do that?" She asked me "it's normally the main switch than can be funny." "What do you mean by that?" "The stupid camera man thought is was funny to turn it off for more viewers on that live-stream." I explained "asshole." Maddox whispered to me which I chuckled at.

Kourt finished her solo and the room was full of cheer at her amazing performance, the audience was going mad for her as she absolutely blew them all away, even we were cheering her from the side lines behind the curtains. "Ten minute intermission." Maddox announced "if any one sees Channing, punch him." Gina spoke "I'm on my way." I said as Maddox held me back as she wrapped me in a hug from behind "you can't even see over my shoulder." I spoke as I'm taller than her "shut up." She said with a chuckle. "Hey, Y/n. Can I talk to you?" Ash asked, I nodded and Maddox didn't let go "you can let go now." I spoke to Maddox "but you're gonna go after him." "And that's a bad thing?" I asked and she let me go, I nodded thank you and followed Ash out of the Barn onto a bench "you like Maddox, don't you?" She asked quickly, I nodded "is that why you said 'well, so's Madison' and stormed off?" Ash questioned, I nodded again. "Then tell her." "It's not that easy. I'm pretty sure she likes you." I said as we both looked at the window to see Maddox staring at Ash and she was blushing "see?" I said and Ash nodded to my statement.

"Just tell her." Ash spoke as she held my hand and we walked back into the Barn for the second half. Ash walked to her seating area and was holding a card "wait, did everyone get a card from Nini?" She asked "Nini's here?" Ricky asked sadly. The time went quickly and everyone started to get ready for the second half to make the show even more special, I looked over to see Ricky protect Gina from that stupid camera guy, I smiled to myself to see how much he has always cared about Gina even if they're only 'friends'. The show ended and everyone took their bows and the Barn was full of cheering and clapping which brought smiles on everyone's faces.

I saw Nini sneak out so I quickly rushed behind her "Nini!" I shouted before she could enter her car "Y/n? What are you doing?" She asked "you weren't going to say goodbye to your cousin?" I asked, she gave me a tight hug as tears rolled down her face "I'm gonna miss you too." I said as I could tell she was thinking the same thing. "Drive safely and when you're ready and not crying." I said and she cracked a laugh, I pulled a tissue from my pocket and handed it to her. "Thank you." She said nearly in a whisper, I stayed with her as she slowly stopped crying and was ready to hit the road.

I walked back to the Barn to see it was empty and only Maddox left sweeping "where is everyone?" I asked Maddox "they're getting out of their costumes, they'll be out in a minute." Maddox answered just as the others came out from back stage to see Corbin and that stupid camera guy as well "wait Jessica? From the first High School Musical movie?" Corbin asked "it is you, Jessica." Corbin said happily "close enough." Miss Jenn said as they shared a hug. "Actually wait, hold on. I wanna put a microphone on that girl. This is really good." The camera man started "actually, Channing, why don't you take a long five? Okay?" Corbin spoke as he pulled his microphone off "that means get lost. It's done. We're done." Corbin specified and told the camera guy to beat it.

"We're done? Yeah, okay. Well. I always have the final say in the editing room." The camera guy said back and left the Barn with his stupid video camera. "What team?" Corbin spoke "he's doing it." Gina said excitedly. "Wildcats!" Ricky said. "What team?" "Wildcats!" "What team?" "Wildcats!" "Wildcats!" "Get your head in the game!" "That felt right." Corbin said happily as it was our last night at camp.

"Oh dude, I forgot. You got an opening night card." I said pulling out of my back pocket. "I found it behind the couch." I said handing it to Ricky. "From Nini." Maddox said with a chuckle. "Open it." Gina said, Ricky opened it to be a lotto ticket "did you know Y/n?" Ricky asked me "of course I didn't." I said with a smile "of course you knew." Ricky said answering his own question.