Seventeen

Newt immediately grabbed my hand and yanked me behind the cargo box. We ducked in time as bullets soon began thudding against it.

"Who let 'em loose?" Minho shouted from next to me.

"Hardly think it bloody matters right now!" Newt yelled.

Our bodies were pressed against each other tightly once the group crouched low. There is no way we can fight back with the position we're in.

"They'll flank us any second. We need to start shooting back!" Jorge stated.

"I guess you're with us, then?" Thomas asked, despite the situation we're in, right now.

Jorge looked at Brenda before shrugging. "If she's helping you, then so am I. And if you haven't noticed - they're trying to kill me, too!"

"How are we supposed to get out of this?" I couldn't help but ask. "In case you forgot, we're completely surrounded!"

"How about his," Tony piped up. He motioned to Minho. "Mr. Hair here shoots from the right." He glared at Newt. "Sperm donor fires left." He motioned from him to Thomas and Brenda. "We'll fire over the box. Jorge, you scout a way for us to get to your Berg." He nodded at me. "You cover him. Shoot anything that moves or wears black."

"And who the bloody hell put you in charge?" Newt argued.

"We don't have a choice, Newt," Thomas slid in. "We need a plan and...it's the only one we got."

I gripped my Launcher in my hands as I waited for Tony's signal. Once he did I jumped up and began firing. I saw something moving from my left and shot the guard before quickly kneeling back down. Thomas didn't risk getting a good look and fired his Launcher. I heard the grenade explode before the man's body collapsed on the floor in a fit of spasms.

"Nice one, TomTom," I complimented before standing up again and shot my Launcher. I didn't wait and hopped back down. Each guard fell one after another, clutching their wounds. I noticed a few were holding their legs and with the look Brenda had, I'm assuming it's from her.

"We've got them running!" Minho yelled. "But it won't last long -  they probably didn't realize we had weapons. Jorge, which Berg is yours?"

Jorge pointed toward the far left corner of the hangar. "That one. That's my baby. It won't take long to get her ready to fly."

Minho shot another grenade. "Ok. First, everyone reload. Then Newt, Tiger, and I'll cover while Thomas, Jorge, Tony, and Brenda run to the Berg. Jorge, you get her fired up while Thomas, Brenda, and Tony cover us from behind that hatch door. Sound like a plan?"

"Sounds fine but -" Tony began before yanking me close. "She stays with me."

Newt glared at Tony. "Don't you shucking start with that crap."

"Can we not do this right now?! I'm sticking with Minho's plan so everyone stop with their klunk already!" I shouted. I looked at Jorge as I began jamming more ammo into my Launcher and pockets. "Can the Launchers hurt the Berg?"

"Not much," he answered. "Those beasts are tougher than a Scorch camel. If they miss us and hit my ship, all the better. Let's do this, muchachos!"

Without any warning, Minho shouted, "Then go go go!" He even went as far as slapping my behind, but I'm pretty sure that's to make Tony and Newt angry. "Get 'em, Tiger!"

Newt glared at Minho but we all began launching our grenades. We didn't even have a specific target. We just aimed and shot like madmen all over the open area in front of our waiting Berg. Thomas and Brenda took the left and right of Jorge while Tony was positioned behind and ran away from the cargo box. It was so hard to see with all the electricity and smoke in the air.

I saw a figure running toward Newt. "Newt!" I yelled before pushing him behind me and fired. The man dropped and spazzed out. Soon I heard someone else yelling.

"Brenda!" Thomas screamed. Newt and I turned to see him skidding to a stop in front of Brenda, whose body was shaking from the electricity.

Newt grabbed my hand. "Forget the bloody plan," he said before pulling me with him. He released my hand so we, including Minho, could keep firing while heading for Thomas. Jorge managed to make it to the Berg and disappeared up the hatch with Tony. He came out again, shooting a different kind of Launcher. The grenades exploded into spouts of raging fire when they made contact.

"So cool!" I shouted as several guards screamed while erupting in flames.

"Don't get any ideas, Tiger!" Minho yelled as we finally reached Thomas and Brenda.

Thomas shook his head. "No!" he screamed. "Keep going to the Berg. Take cover behind the hatch door. Wait until we start moving, then cover us. Fire like crazy till we get there."

Minho rolled his eyes before he grabbed Brenda by the shoulders. Several jagged bolts of lightning went up his arms, making Minho wince. But he was still able to stand and pulled Brenda with him. I grabbed Brenda's legs while Thomas hooked his arms under her shoulders. We backed out way toward the Berg.

Thomas let out a furious scream as a bullet grazed his leg. He staggered a bit but continued on. Newt kept firing his Launcher and covered us. Once we reached the hoot of the hatched door, Jorge immediately dropped his huge weapon and slid down the ramp to grab one of Brenda's arms. Tony came to the other side, grabbed me, and yanked me up.

I turned around and grabbed Newt's hands before pulling him inside. I was about to pull Thomas in but more guards were running toward us.

"Behind you!" I shouted before I shot my Launcher. Tony and Newt grabbed Thomas's hand and tugged him inside. Thomas groaned as his back slammed back down just as the hatch door closed.

"Sorry, Tommy," Newt muttered. "Could've been a bit more gentle, I 'spect."

Thomas gave a weak grunt before his eyes rolled to the back of his head and passed out.

》》》》

I never felt such relief in my life. We finally managed to escape. Sure, our friends betrayed us and left us for dead but...I'm sure there's a reason, right?

The first hour on the Berg was a huge pain. Newt wanted to get me alone but Tony was watching my every move. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him following me. I appreciate his concern but this is getting out of hand. I'm starting to feel suffocated.

Minho, being the best friend he can be, decided to distract Tony. And mostly to apologize for slapping my ass, even though he did it to get a rise out of the guys. What I didn't expect for him to do was to attack Tony. I didn't even think that was the plan until Newt grabbed my hand and dragged me away.

We sat on one of the ugly couches. My back was against his chest while his arms were circled around my waist. My eyes were a bit droopy after the hellish week we've been through.

"You tired?" Newt asked after I yawned.

"A little bit," I answered. I snuggled closer to him and he yawned right after. "I guess yawning is contagious. Maybe we should sleep."

Newt groaned as he dipped his head against my neck and began peppering it with kisses. "If we sleep then we won't be able to do this."

I smiled as his lips trailed up and lingered on my jaw. "As much as I love the idea. I don't want you passing out on me." My smile turned into a smirk as I moved my head to look at him. "Plus, imagine how pissed Tony would be if he saw us having sex."

"Now, you're just giving me ideas." He yawned again as his eyes began to droop.

"So, are we going to talk about it?" I asked, meaning him not immune to the Flare. He didn't respond. "Newt?"

I heard soft snores in my ear. I turned my head to see him passed out with his head dangling. A small smile came to my face as I readjusted us so he could fully lie on the couch. I was about to get up but Newt yanked me so I was laying on top of him.

"Night, Danny," he spoke softly.

"Night, Newt."