One

One day became two days. Two days became a week. A week since WICKED took us away from the Scorch. A week since I haven't seen Thomas, Brenda, or Jorge. I haven't seen Tony for three days, but when he came back....he seemed like he was more protective of me. Like whenever WICKED would give us food, then he would have someone else try it to make sure it's not poison. Just this morning, he made Sonya eat the soup they prepared. The only people he would allow near me is Newt and Minho 'cause they're more 'trustworthy' and 'less weird.'

I kept looking at the door of the auditorium, just waiting for Thomas to come out. What they told us is that he was suspected of having the Flare, but I don't believe it one bit. If Thomas had the Flare, then why didn't they kill him in the Scorch? Why would they risk saving his life if he's going to go crazy anyway?

"He's not going to come out," Minho said. "Those shuckfaces got him locked tight." He gave a nasty glare at Teresa, who was eating with Aris. "They're probably in on it." He shook his head in disgust. "Wouldn't be surprise."

I looked at them. Teresa and Aris were talking and laughing as if everything were normal. I agree with Minho, I wouldn't be surprised if this was another trap. Someone from WICKED running in and grabbing them before they use poison gas in this room to kill all of us. Or at least make this place into a boiler room and cook us alive. Teresa looked up at me and smiled. I just glared at her before looking back at my meal, practically stabbing the meat.

"Remember what I told you?" Tony whispered next to me.

I nodded. "Don't go anywhere near them." I gave him a annoyed look. "And like I told you, you don't have to worry about that. I hate them." I stabbed the meat again. "Those little slintheads."

Tony grabbed my wrist to make me stop. "Knock it off."

I was about to push him off, but Newt grabbed Tony's wrist and started to squeeze it. His eyes sending dagger. "How about you knock it off and get your bloody hands off my girlfriend -"

My eyes widen when Newt's grip tightened, making Tony release me. "Newt."

"-before I slice your own hand off."

"Newt, it's ok."

Tony glared at him. "How about you get your hands off me before -" Tony was about to stand up, but Newt grabbed the fork and jammed it into Tony's free hand. "Ah!"

"Newt!" I shouted. The whole room stopped eating and was looking at us. I stood up and grabbed Newt's wrist that was holding the fork and tried to pull it out, but Newt was glaring at Tony. "Newt!"

Newt blinked a few times before looking around the room. His eyes widen when he saw the situation we were in and jerked his hand away.

"I'm sorry," he began apologizing. "I - I didn't know -"

Tony yanked the fork out of his hand and grunted. He glared at Newt and used his good hand to point at him. "No. You stay away from her." He pulled me up from my seat. "Come on."

I struggled out of Tony's grip. "What are you doing?" I never felt so embarrassed in my life. And I couldn't believe Newt would do such a thing. He's never done anything like this before.

"Taking you away from him."

》》》》

A/N: Set a week after book 2. A few chapters before the main event.

*Not edited.*