13 | Under My Tires

I smiled gently as I wondered whether or not he had fallen in the ocean

I smiled gently as I wondered whether or not he had fallen in the ocean. I wondered if he'd had a pleasant time on the outing. I wondered if he'd thought about me at all. If he'd missed me even the tiniest portion of the amount that I'd missed him.

I tried to picture him in the sun on the beach. The picture was incomplete, though, because I'd never been to First Beach myself. I only knew how it looked in pictures...

I felt a tiny qualm of unease as I thought about the reason why I'd never once been to the pretty beach located just a few minutes run from my home. Kook had spent the day at La Push-a place where I was forbidden, by treaty, to go. A place where a few old men still remembered the stories about the Cullens, remembered and believed them.

A place where our secret was known...

I shook my head. I had nothing to worry about there. The Quileutes were bound by treaty, too. Even had Kook run into one of those aging sages, they could reveal nothing. And why would the subject ever be broached? Why would Kook think to voice his curiosity there? No, the Quileutes were perhaps the one thing I did not have to worry about.

I was angry with the sun when it began to rise. It reminded me that I could not satisfy my curiosity for days to come. Why did it choose to shine now?

With a sigh, I ducked out his window before it was light enough for anyone to see me here. I meant to stay in the thick forest by his house and see him off to school, but when I got into the trees, I was surprised to find the trace of his scent lingering on the trail there.

I followed it quickly, curiously, becoming more and more worried as it led deeper into the darkness. What had Kook been doing out here?

The trail stopped abruptly, in the middle of nowhere in particular. He'd gone just a few steps off the trail, into the ferns, where he'd touched the trunk of a fallen tree.

Perhaps sat there...

I sat where he had, and looked around. All he would have been able to see was ferns and forest. It had probably been raining, the scent was washed out, having never set deeply into the tree.

Why would Jungkook have come to sit here alone and he had been alone, no doubt about that-in the middle of the wet, murky forest?