25 | Love Should Win

Jungkook was still doing laundry I could hear the thumping and sloshing of the unbalanced washing machine and smell the scent of softener sheets blowing hot from the dryer's exhaust

Jungkook was still doing laundry I could hear the thumping and sloshing of the unbalanced washing machine and smell the scent of softener sheets blowing hot from the dryer's exhaust. Part of me wanted to smile as I thought of his teasing at lunch, but the superficial humor was too weak to overcome my ongoing panic. I could hear Jaewoo watching a sports recap in the front room. His quiet thoughts seemed mellow, sleepy. I was sure that Jungkook hadn't changed his mind and told him of his real plans for tomorrow.

Despite everything, the easy, simple flow of the Jeons' uneventful evening was calming. I perched in my usual tree and let it lull me.

I found myself feeling jealous of Jungkook's father. His was a simple life. Nothing serious weighed on his conscience. Tomorrow was just a normal day, with familiar, pleasant hobbies to look forward to.

But the next day...

It wasn't in his power to guarantee what that next day would be for him. Was it in mine?

I was surprised to hear the sound of a hair dryer from the shared bathroom. Jungkook didn't usually bother. His hair was, as far as I had seen in my nights of protective if inexcusable surveillance, wet as he slept, drying over the course of the night. I wondered why the change. The only explanation I could think of was that he wanted his hair to look nice. And as the person he planned to see tomorrow was me, that meant he must have wanted it to look nice for me.

Maybe I was wrong. But if I was right... how exasperating! How endearing! His life had never been in deeper peril, but he still cared that I, the very menace threatening his life, liked his appearance.

How could he not look good? Even in all of his black fits with combat boots, he looked gorgeous. I liked the way he would display a few tattoos but left the rest of the sleeve to the imagination. I liked the way he wore pink lip gloss. Or maybe he wore clear? His lips were pretty plump and already pink. I liked the earrings he wore. And of course I loved the lip piercing and brow piercing. Why he was trying to go for the look of a bad boy I had no idea. But that look coupled with the fact that he had a very thin waist and....STOP! What in the world am I doing-objectifying him? But anyway, his hair also always looked great.

STOP! What in the world am I doing-objectifying him? But anyway, his hair also always looked great